Feeding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nop169, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I notice many threads about feeding chicks & the type of "feed" used... just got me to wondering how many of you supplement your chick feed? We use chick feed freechoice (medicated with guineas/peafowl, usually unmedicated for ducks/chickens) but I also supplement daily with greens of some sort, either kale, turnip greens or sprouts & boiled eggs every other day or so....this seems to work best for me and my chicks typically seem healthier and look better.... just curious who else does this. Granted on guineas/peafowl/geese & ducklings I feed WAY more greens than I do with chicks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chicks LOVE kale, turnip greens and shredded lettuce. Hard boiled egg is pretty standard here too. When the weathers nice, I also dig them some worms and other creepy crawlies out of the the ground. :)
    Nikki

3. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    My chicks were let out to forage during the day from an early age, so they had daily access to "grit." As such, we gave them a variety of scraps including lettuce, tomatoes, canteloupe, banana, apple, and millett. Of course, we gave them some crickets, mealworms, and fermented feed, while leaving them access to the pellets the entire time.

The barred rocks were outside at about ten weeks and the silkies at thirteen. They stayed in longer because we were in the middle of a huge cold front that dropped the temps to a ten year low.

4. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    can i let my chicks about 1.5 weeks old now supervised of course to eat grass one of them is scratching around even when i put them on my floor for a wing stretch and run around. they scratch around so is that a sign they wanna go out side for a bit

5. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona

As long as it is a reasonable temperature, of course you can. In natural chicken keeping, they would be with a broody hen, which would be outside, right? Just make sure it's safe, too. No pools of water, predators, etc .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by