Feeding ducks fish

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I used to go and catch minnows in my neighbors pond, but it was bought and sold. The new owner wont let me catch a few minnows here and there.

SO , would it be ok if i went and bought some feeder minnows from a pet store, and fed them to my 3 ducks??

Im hoping I get more positive feed back, With the old owner, I used to catch about 75- 100 minnows a week, That was back when I only had one drake, lol.

You should be ok, just be sure to regularly worm your ducks. Fish tend to carry a lot of worms, and if left untreated it can become a serious problem.

When I had ducks, I would buy cheap feeder fish every now and then and feed them as a treat. The ducks loved them, but I had to constantly be on the look out for worms. However, both pet store and pond fish can carry worms, so I guess there is that little risk no matter where you get them from.

I wouldn't worry too much though
big_smile.png

Quote:
I do it with my own and we fed them to the zoo birds as well, but I've had long-time waterfowl breeders say not to because of disease (funny though, never specified which one!!). If a zoo vet approves it, safe enough for me!!

It is fun to watch the ducks eat them, our Mandarins will flip them in the air and Redheads dive after them. Have used goldfish and roseys (the gold minnows) purchased at a pet store. Good stimulation for the birds. Have also heard that guppies are recommended from another zoo trained aviculturist.

DAn

Im just going to guess that it is ok then if a vet approved. But I am alittle worried about those worms
sad.png

We had 2 red tetra that were evil, ganging up and killing all our guppies. so i took them out, not wanting them in my tanks ( i love my fishies) and fed them to our ducks.I tried at first to feed them to mama duck, but im guessing she has never even seen a fish! My mallard is the same way, he looked at them , but wouldnt eat them. But as soon as my former wild ducksaw them, he came runnin!

Back
Top Bottom