feeding ducks, guineas, turkeys and chickens

mamato3

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
SWMissouri
So doing my research im trying to find something all these breeds can eat together as they will be housed together. So from my reading flock raiser is a good option but a tad bit expensive for me so is there anything else i can feed them? Right know ther all 1 week to 5 weeks old and everyone's on start and grow which i got for $12 not to bad.

seeing in that I don't have turkeys, and guineas... I don't want to give you the wrong advice...I wold post this question also in the other sections like Turkeys, and Guineas to get a well rounded answer.Good Luck.

So you want to have 4 different kinds of birds in the same pen, but the right bag of food is too expensive for you . . .

I use gamebird myself, but its one of the more expensive bags in my store.
I feed all my birds the stages of gamebird.

There is nothing wrong with being frugal, and I have no problem trying to save a buck or 10 on things like supplies or coop building materials, but if I couldnt afford/wasnt willing to pay for the appropriate food for my animals, I wouldnt have them.

HTH
smile.png

Edit to add-
The start and grow you are using, at 18%, does not have enough protein for 3/4 kinds of birds you are keeping . . .
All the ducks, guinies, and turkeys should be on startrena(30%), which is the gamebird starter from purina, who makes the startngrow.
Those kinds of birds need the higher protein.

Last edited:
Chickenwhisperer,
Don't be too hard on Momato. Remember there were farmers raising multiple breeds together long before Purina Chows were even invented. One of the keys to being a succesful farmer is to be thrifty and make raising these animals pay. These people all have the best intentions. Otherwise they wouldn't be here on this board.

The stat and grow is unmedicated. My big problem is i live on my dads property even though he gave me an acre of land he does not want me building buildings on it. I build frugal like pallet sheds and such which are junky to him soo i had 1 nice barn built for me. The way the land and barn is i perfer to fence in a half acre around it and let them all use it together rather then trying to get smaller pens for everyone If it comes down to it i can house the ducks and turkeys in half and the chickens and guineas in the other half. I was just thinking there's got to be others like me that raises there poultry together and could give me ideas on what they feed all of them.

Quote:
This is just plain wrong! 30% protein will give your ducklings angel wing as they grow out.

I don't have turkeys. I have all the other breeds though so. I give them game bird starter. (your choice medicated or unmedicated) I would have to go look at the bag to see the brand, but I get it at the local feed mill. It is a national brand. If you're looking to be cost effective, try to find a local mill.

Flock Raiser may be too expensive for your taste, but that is the best thing for what you are feeding. My feed mill sells it for $13 for a 50lb bag, which is actually cheaper than getting it at TSC.

smile.png
I house my layers seperate in the winter for egg production , But in the summer of my ZONE 10 It's too Hot to be inclosed !!! I turn every thing loose to free range Chickens - Ducks - Turkeys , you name it !!! They all do very well , and I supplement by Throwing out Scratch just to keep them on the property !!! I still get plenty of Egg's , Just have to look for them . ALAN B .
big_smile.png

Well after calling all the feed stores i go to no one carries purina flock raiser or start, grow TSC does but there high dollar so every place told me to use the game bird starter. They said it wont hurt the chicks to be on a higher protein feed. So thats what ill feed for know.

Back
Top Bottom