Feeding DuMor Organic

I stopped doing business with TSC when it comes to buying feed. I will not purchase a feed bag unless I can use it all up by the time it is 6 weeks old. The store employee's party line is, "It is good for 6 months or more." This is a self serving statement, which only serves the interests of the company profit margin. A well published poultry nutrition expert quoted in this book states that feed begins to oxidize immediately after
milling, and, many of the nutrients are lost. Feed goes rancid quickly.

61gO8MmunhL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I use DuMore Organic 18% Protein Starter/Grower and so far all good! My chickens love it and are thriving...though I haven't heard of checking the date to see how old it is...hmmmmm... maybe I should go do that :confused:

Do you think it’s still good? I called both Tractor Supply’s nearest to my home and they are both 2017.
Caroline, those ladies in your coop belong to you. So feed them whatever it is that you wish to feed them. This is not a profit making deal, it is a hobby that involves chickens.

That being said there are people on this forum or website who absolutely refuse to feed even one beak full of feed if it is over 30 days pass milling date. I hope that you find the truth.

Here is a little nudge in the direction of the truth. The chickens who eat the freshest chicken food on the planet are those in concentrated & confined feeding operations. The simple fact is that a chicken house with 20,000 hens will consume 40,000 pounds or more of chicken feed every 4 days to 8 days or so. This means that a new tractor and bulk carrying tanker trailer will show up at this concentrated & confined feeding operation every 2 to 6 days from the feedmill in order to replenish these chickens groceries.

Well, I decided to stick with DuMor Organic because they are all doing really well on it. I did some
Research and spoke with a rep and Dumor is made by Kreamer Feeds in Pennsylvania who also make Nature’s Best Organics. I went back today and they had current feed milled in May. When I went to my local feed mill, the worker tried to sell me Purina Organic feed. She said she is also a rep for Purina and it’s really good. I’m sure it is but the bag was a year old and she just got done saying that they don’t sell feed that old and she told me she didn’t know how to read the date codes on the bag?! I asked her if she could call Purina and she stared at me. I said, okay I will call them not thinking the food was old. I called and it WAS one year old!! I really like supporting local business but that upset me that she lied to try and get rid of the feed. Guess it doesn’t matter where you shop. Old feed is everywhere so I’m just sticking with DuMor. It has probiotics as well- Enviva.

Attachments

• 3EA23CC7-FB55-4AF0-B7EB-77AF1E412F64.jpeg
    3EA23CC7-FB55-4AF0-B7EB-77AF1E412F64.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 24
  • 8F366CCB-77F7-4173-9B7B-B6FF74D9E041.jpeg
    8F366CCB-77F7-4173-9B7B-B6FF74D9E041.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 23
I won't buy feed that's older than four weeks from the mill date, ever, and it's fed within another two or at most three weeks. Fresh matters!
You need to shop around, and find something that's fresh at your local feed stores. Here I can get Flock Raiser, my favorite, with no problems. the organic stuff tends to be older often, and IMO not worth feeding! Don't believe that it's good for six months!!!
I have also not been happy with the local feed mill's products.
You need to find something that's fresh, preferably 18% to 20% protein, that your birds will eat, and stick with it. Chickens don't like change, so a different bag every month isn't a good idea either.
Ask if your store will special order something for you. I doubt that it will reliably be fresh, but it might be worth trying.
You might find that getting a fresh organic feed is so difficult that you need to have another plan...
Good luck,
Mary

Well, I decided to stick with DuMor Organic because they are all doing really well on it. I did some
Research and spoke with a rep and Dumor is made by Kreamer Feeds in Pennsylvania who also make Nature’s Best Organics. I went back today and they had current feed milled in May. When I went to my local feed mill, the worker tried to sell me Purina Organic feed. She said she is also a rep for Purina and it’s really good. I’m sure it is but the bag was a year old and she just got done saying that they don’t sell feed that old and she told me she didn’t know how to read the date codes on the bag?! I asked her if she could call Purina and she stared at me. I said, okay I will call them not thinking the food was old. I called and it WAS one year old!! I really like supporting local business but that upset me that she lied to try and get rid of the feed. Guess it doesn’t matter where you shop. Old feed is everywhere so I’m just sticking with DuMor. It has probiotics as well- Enviva.
I was pretty sure it was made by Kreamer Feed, good to know. Two months old to me is not too bad, but you know there are differences of opinion! Kreamer makes a really good feed. Enjoy your girls!

I know this is an older thread, but I'm going to stick with the same brand we started off with "Nature's Best" (Kreamer Feed). I ordered a couple of bags of All Flock and started thinking about this since it's not regularly being bought at the store, so a little research brought me to this page. I assume it is probably the same for other Kreamer Feed products. The lot number on the bags we had never made sense to me, but they put the julian date in front of the year on the end of the lot number. It also says you can use it up to 6 months in a warm setting and up to a year if kept cool and dry. (I personally wouldn't)

https://organicfeeds.com/lotnumbers/

Back
Top Bottom