Feeding eggs shells... Do they acquire a taste for eggs?

dwdoc

Songster
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Seffner, Florida
I have read many post that talk about feeding chicken crushed eggs shells instead of oyster shell. I talked with my local "chicken expert" and she says she NEVER feeds her birds eggs shells. She claims the birds will acquire a taste for eggs and begin to eat their own eggs.... It sounds sorta logical...I think.?.?

I so confused...

IMO (which is not based on a ton of chicken knowledge) I do not think that they would "put two and two together" as long as the shells are clean and well crushed. I know I have seen people mention something about baking the shells as well. I think that is to kill any bacteria on the shells but not sure.

I feed my hens egg shells and they do eat them. They say to make sure they are crushed up pretty good however and not to feed them big chunks of egg shell When they were pullet size I used to feed them hard boiled eggs chopped up, which was their favorite treat. They loved them!!!!! I have never had a problem with them eating their own eggs. They have all been fine.
I wouldnt worry about it.

You will read to nuke or bake them both to kill germs and to make them taste different from raw eggs. You will read to crush them fine so they do no damage. You will read that experienced chicken keepers do this routinely rather than buy oyster shells. You will read of feeding them cooked eggs for the nutrition or to use up excess eggs; this is often done by scrambling them, with the shells. Sooner or later you will see a chicken eat an eggshell, especially if you have a broody. I have never read of a connection between feeding egg shells and egg eating. I've seen my chickens eat eggs several times, as when they accidentally break one. but i don't have an egg eater. Shells should get ground up in the gizzard before they do any internal damage.

Thanks for all the replies.

But I have to ask.... How does one sort through all the different opinions and advise? It can be a bit overwhelming.

I learned chicken keepin' from an ol' timer............always have given crushed egg shells back to my girls.....never had a problem with hens eating their own or others eggs.

I would think an egg eater may be a hen that is feeling crowded, underfed or bored. Since it's a destructive behavior I would associate it with a distressed bird. Happy girls lay their eggs and go about their business.

Do a little research, majority of opinions, trial and error, sometimes what your common sense tells you. Raising animals is not an exact science. You just have to do it long enough to get a feel for it.

Quote:
THAT is the nature of an open forum such as this. You will just have to take it all in and try what you want. YOU will come to your own conclusions by trial and error.
I see this forum as similiar to sitting in the coffee shop and talking to a group of friends and getting everyone's storys and advise.

Back
Top Bottom