feeding eggshells

divediva

Songster
Feb 23, 2016
Bermuda
I have two golden comets that lay every single day. They are on layers crumbs and have free range in the garden. I also give peas and corn and feed them healthy treats like lean beef and scrambled eggs. I have been feeding eggshells back to them daily as I know creating eggs is a huge drain on calcium, and I'm diluting the crumb by giving other feed. I only feed them their own shells that I have sterilised in the oven. I have been doing this daily but wonder if it's too much. I read you can cause phosphorus imbalance. My girls are healthy and the eggs are hard shelled and perfect with no lumps, bumps or powder

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I feed a flock raiser with eggshells on the side.

I'm not sure if you have to supplement calcium when you are using a layer feed because it already has calcium in it for layers. When I was feeding a layer feed I only gave them oyster shells or eggshells when they were having egg issues (which was only one time with a new layer).

I feel like we get better eggs feeding the flock raiser with the eggshells on the side. We have a mixed flock of roosters, hens, pullets, and ducks so feeding a food that incorporates them all is very helpful. Our new layers were having more difficulty laying eggs with the layer feed.

GrFChickens

Chirping
Oct 8, 2015
We fed eggshells for over a year with no problems at all. Yep, just a separate dish and they will only eat what they need. Just be sure to crush fine. Might save an extra step with baking . . . we just dried ours really good in a cupboard. Hope that helps! :)
Megan

divediva

Songster
Feb 23, 2016
Bermuda
thanks for the advice folks. I just crushed up about 10 shells and put it in with their oyster shell. They demolished the entire thing inside 2 minutes. WTH? And here was I worried they were getting too much. Maybe I will need a hammer and chisel to crack the eggs lol.

Top Bottom