feeding enough?

peep417

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
1 coffee can of feed, 1 medium size pan of scraps, and allowed to free range from 8:00 am to atleast 6 pm.

Generally speaking, an adult laying hen should take in about 1/4-1/3 pound of feed per day - you can weigh out that "coffee can" of feed and see how close you are to that amount. Also, the quality of that feed needs to be factored in - what feed are you using? Scraps and the forage that most properties actually offer a flock are such that they are to be counted as extras, but not as part of the actual base diet intake amount

My 5 girls get unlimited grower/layer feed. I give them some leftovers, snacks such as grapes. They get 1 or 2 handfulls of black oil sunflower seeds and they free range 2-6 hours a day. Their performance is unreal. I have 5 rsls and they have given me 137 out of a possible 140 eggs the last 28 days....oh and i also crush up their eggshells and feed them back to them. ...the almost perfect layers.

I have 11 chickens, 6 are juvenile, 5 are laying, and I feed the equivalent of 1.5 large coffee cans of feed plus choice oyster and egg shells, scraps daily, and scratch when its cold. They free-range during the day. I find they eat much less feed in the summer and I will almost double that in the winter when there really isn't much to eat outside.

I feed a little more than they will eat in one day, they leave a little in the bottom of the pan by the next am but that way they're never hungry but there isn't too much feed sitting around.

They work hard to make those eggs, better to give them a little extra!

Back
Top Bottom