1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding fish to chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenEllis, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ChickenEllis

ChickenEllis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    I catch a ton of barred surf perch when i go surf fishing around where i live. I normally throw them back because they are bland and boney but i'm thinking i might bring one back to feed to chickens. Would the bones or scales pose a problem?

Would it be better to cook it first?

2. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Um, why can't you feed chickens raw meat? Chickens eat things like mice and small mammels all the time....Which would be raw meat [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    A lot of people on here have reported that their chickens eat mice, frogs, etc. Are those not bones & raw meat? I don't understand. Give me a[​IMG] and elaborate, please.
    Thanks, I'm just a little slow this morning; haven't finished the second cup of coffee yet.[​IMG]

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol my chickens eat raw meat all the time not that i feed them but they free range so find stuff like frogs and mice all the time

6. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Bugs are raw too, so I'm sure a little raw meat wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding raw chicken or beef to them, maybe not even raw fish...I'd maybe cook it. The bones in the fish are dangerous for humans to eat b/c they are so small. Now are the dangerous for chickens? I don't know.

7. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Mine had a little left over shrimp scampi with pasta with their breakfast. Gone in a flash. M/B it was the garlic?

8. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    I'd say raw meat might be fine now and then. But the bones in the fish might be a choking hazard. I'd slash both sides of the fish to the bones then boil em a bit. Should soften up the bones fine.

edited cause I can't spell for manure

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would definitely feed. I actually stopped at a fish market close to me last week to ask if I could take any scraps they have home to feed my chooks, but they said they don't have any [​IMG]

10. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Nevermind, you guys don't have to 'jump' on me about it. Apparently what I read was wrong, I get it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by