Feeding for omega-3 eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by featherfooted, Apr 24, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Has anyone ever fed their chickens anything to increase the Omega-3 in the eggs? Since all this with my DH (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47907), I've been thinking about trying to increase the Omega-3 in the eggs to make them more healthy. Does anyone know what I should feed the hens for this and where I can get it?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Where I just ordered my meat chicks, they had a flyer advertising "golden Layena-Now with flax seed" It's from purina. Me? I'll just be sticking to the regular laying crumbles. there may be some truth in the omega thing, but then red wine and coffee are supposed to be good for you too.[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I mix flaxseed in the oatmeal I fix for them, and when I go trout fishing, I can the heads & other edible scraps for them. They love it, and I don't give it often enough to make the eggs taste fishy. The 90-minute processing time cooks the bones to softness, so they eat those too. A little extra calcium.

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I was reading on a different foroum today that worms are high in Omega-3 and feeding them to chickens can raise the content in eggs.

Take it with a grain of salt cause lord knows you cannt trust everything you read on hte internet!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you want more omega 3 in your diet, best eat the seeds yourself. Good fiber content in them too. :p

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:What she said.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by