Feeding from growers to layers.

Twinks 21

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Hi everyone.

Just bought a new little chamosis poland hen hatched last April/May time. The chap told me to feed her growers until next March time, along with some mixed corn, then put her on layers. Someone else told me to wean her off the growers and put her onto layers and mixed corn now!!!

I only want what is right for her - oh by the way would the growers harm my 4 year old Poland as they both eat the same.

Many thanks for your help

Twinks 21:ya

Not sure what kind of feed you are using but generally, grower has more protein,
layer has less protein & more calcium. She'll be fine on the grower until she begins laying. After that you can switch to layer or continue with grower but offer crushed oyster shell to help the hen build shells.

Depending on the brand of feed, there may be more fat in grower, if that's so, make sure both chickens are running around a lot. If they spend a lot of time confined, I go with the layer feed now.

Thanks for that........I have some Farm gate growers which she was already being fed but only in a polythene bag so do not have fat content etc............but she will not lay until next Spring now and as her feathers are still coming through and it is blowing a gale in the Isle of Man, I doubt if she will be going out far for a while. When we had her she had never been out of a shed, so her large house and run is very adequate at the moment. The run has a clear roof as well to keep her dry.

I am a real novice to all this and the feed thing really does worry me as I want her to have the right start and hopefully live a long and healthy life. We lost one at about 2 years with either heart, liver orkindey problems, as she developed ascities in her abdomen"
smile.png

Thanks

Twinks 21

Pressed smiley by mistake.....losing Millie our little blue laced Poland broke my heart should have tears.........it was absolutely awful,. she was a real little peach Spent a few hundred pounds trying to save her......don't want all that upset again

Twinks 21

Sorry about Millie. I had a hen that had ascities, I drained her twice and she lived for another year. It's so hard to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom