Feeding game bird feed to laying hens

Your typical layer ration is not what would be called over fortified with any nutrient with the possible exception of calcium and phosphate. That is done to control ingredient cost for the mill keeping feed cost as low as possible enabling least-cost formulations. We have a very good handle on what the birds require under very controlled environmental conditions where parasites and the like are not an issue. Hens outside the layer production environment have a lot more worries and the least-cost formulations may not be optimal in a more varied environment. When someone uses flock-raiser and game bird formulations they are much more likely to be using diets that higher in vitamins as well as protein making for more expensive feed bill. I am pretty certain that higher level of nutrients enables some dilution with energy rich grains / scratch while still providing more nutrient intake than promoted by a layer diet. Where the game bird mixed with grains to bring protein down relative to energy comes up short on calcium, you can step in with free-choice access to something like oyster shell.
I believe that's what my formula is. It's only 16% protein but it's high in vitamin and minerals.

When you do the formulating, you also watch for declines or improvements in general health and productivity. In outdoor settings people have been formulating feeds for chicken much longer than the 80 or so years complete diets have been in the making to a science. It is an art that requires keen observation and is more often than not less cost effective than buying a least-cost complete ration. It still can be done. In my setting, only very young chicks in confinement are fed a complete formulation and that was not done by us at all prior to the 1980's because to forage fed young were healthier then and I will argue healthier now as well. Feeding birds only a complete ration is a second best option.

No. I haven't added anything to the mix. It comes from the mill with grain and pellets already mixed. The feed tag is accurate.

You missed my point. I assume your tags are accurate. How do you calculate the protein level a given mixture of feed and scratch provides? Information on tag needed for that.

I would say that if you mixed a 16% layer pellet 50/50 with an 8% scratch grain, you could just add the two together and divide by 2. So in that mix the protein would be around 12%???? Of course I'm just guessing and have no real facts to share on this subject.
If your using a homemade mix then you need to find out the protein of each individual grain and use the same equation to "estimate" the protein level.

Last edited:
I would say that if you mixed a 16% layer pellet 50/50 with an 8% scratch grain, you could just add the two together and divide by 2. So in that mix the protein would be around 12%???? Of course I'm just guessing and have no real facts to share on this subject.
If your using a homemade mix then you need to find out the protein of each individual grain and use the same equation to "estimate" the protein level.

What I do is calculate the number grams in protein is provided by a given ingredient as proportion of the whole mix. That makes calculation a little more complex that you have above but still basic algebra. I have it as an excell file somewhere but have not had to mess with it recently.

Sounds interesting. Would be fun to play with using the foods I eat. I've cut out sugar and salt in my diet other than what's already in my foods naturally. Basically I just don't add either to food anymore and I don't consume things like soda or salty chips and things. I've had a pretty bad knee injury and the healing process has been up and down. I found that eating better and losing 30 lbs helped the knee more than anything else. A little off topic but wanted to explain why I think that Excelll sheet sounds so interesting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom