Feeding Geese hay?

We have geese and what we are doing to save on feed in the winter is, buying bales of timothy and clover hay . We are buying a mulcher tomorrow so we can grind up the hay small enough so its palatable and doesn't give them problems. The mulcher is selling at walmart for under a 100$ and one guy says he has one for 20$.. So my guess is, if you folks buy a mulcher you can feed your geese all winter far cheaper than buying bags of feed until the grass grows. We will be buying some grit to go along with it....
We asked a hatchery about this and they said it sounded like a good idea
.just get a leaf mulcher and throw your baled grass in it and grind it all up. No reason to shell out tons of money when a bale of mulched hay will do the job. By adding a little less feed in their bowls they will soon find that mulched hay is the next best thing
jean in Idaho

hello.....thought you might like to know this...we have bought bales of timothy and clover hay, the stiff stalks are too much for geese to eat so we are buying a mulcher at walmart...they sell from 20-100$

since the stiff grass can get caught in their necks....just grind it up
so tomorrow we are buying a mulcher and grind all the hay up for them each day...this way its a lot cheaper to feed them all winter.

jean In Idaho

Geese can be successfully raised on hay, supplemented with a complete feed. Grass is always preferable, but not always available.I don't have grass, either, except during brief periods. It's too hot and dry in summer and dormant in winter.

I feed alfalfa hay free choice, year round. I've never had a problem. Getting them to eat it was a challenge, but I found that by putting bales next to their nests while geese were sitting (and nibbling), they will develop a taste for it. The goslings will get it from the time they hatch, because it's around the nests, and always eat it. Just be sure there is grit available to them as well as plenty of easily accessible water. Those I raise in my brooder get the very fine stuff the older ones can't eat.

I've had no luck with cubes. Ever. Wet, dry, damp, hidden ("Heh-heh! She's trying the hockey pucks again!" They will readily play with them, and really seem to enjoy watching them expand in the pools and water buckets. Cubes are too expensive for me to watch them play SpongeBob Alfalfapants.

I also feed Orchard grass if I can find it. I'm in TX, and this grass comes from Oregon or Washington State, so it isn't always available or affordable. The geese really like it, though. They also have coastal bermuda available free choice. This actually seems to be more fibrous than the alfalfa, and I would expect to see more problems from this hay. I use feed pans under my alfalfa mangers so that I can put the hay back into the manger, unless it's damp, dirty, or old. The pan keeps the area cleaner and is easier for me to clean up. Clean under mangers/catch pans frequently to prevent mold. Alfalfa does produce a lot of waste, but it's about the single most nutritious hay you can offer them.

Just had to share this picture. I put out some leftover mixed veggies. Benedict actually picked out all the corn and peas - but left the green beans and carrots! He knows what he likes!
fullsizeoutput_1e8c.jpeg

I am still trying to figure out breed and sex of my little friend. I got it July 4th and it was probably 2-3 weeks old at the time. Here's a picture to help. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20190819_080019.jpg
    20190819_080019.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom