Feeding goats: alfalfa vs hay

Thanks a ton for the advice guys. There really are no weeds back there ( I swear! The only place on the planet with no weeds!)
I guess I'll have to go buy a bale of hay also
hmm.png
that's kind of frustrating. I wouldn't have bought the alfalfa if it wasn't necessary. I can probobly rig a neat rack for hay. I dont know about weeds though. Maybe I can buy them lettuce or spinach or something? Lol I never thought NOT having weeds would be a problem. I tried seeding grass but the chickens ruined that easily. I can give them the grass clippings from the front yard but we only mow every two weeks or so.

Lol it's so weird to me that there is no sure way to feed a goat!

Also I work for a kitchen. I usually (for compost) bring home potato and apple peels, celery leaves, strawberry tops, etc ( any kind of fruit and veggie scraps). Can they eat these???

While on topic, you might want to check out the list of toxic plants goats need to avoid. I am sure there is probably one on backyardherds.com . Off the top of my head I know azaleas and rhododendron are toxic.

Quote:
Well considering NOTHING grows in my yard I am certain that won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up though. I will look it up online. I am somewhat dissapointed with backyard herds.

I would go easy on the alfalfa and goat chow any new feed actually everytime you give a new feed. Goats are get the runs really easy and can dehydrate fast. I wonder if the owners you are getting them from would let you have some feed they are use to, to go with them maybe give them a few bucks for it if you have too. Then add what ever feed your gonna feed into it like alfalfa hay or grass hay 25 new hay/75 old hay and then work up to all your hay that your gonna be giving daily....every few days up the new feed amount and lessen the old feed amount....to get them use to the new feed. The goat chow I would do 1/2 cup once a day for a few days. After that maybe a cup a day.....maybe split it into to 2 feedings to make them friendlier. They probably don't need it continuously though unless lactating, skinny, or late pregnancy etc.

I know what you mean about nothing growing we live in a desert. I was feeding all alfalfa hay and they were spoiled rotten after that it took a while to get them to eat just grass hay. Now I get 50/50 mix so they get some of the alfalfa and some grass. I just went through 2 bags of goat chow and now they are a bit upset I am not giving it anymore but no point if they don't need it. It is expensive stuff.

Push the hay and roughage over grain and such. Do a quick read on goat polio as well just incase. Ours prefer just regular old hay over the high dollar stuff, it has more of a variety in it for them.

Our goats have a lot of pasture so when they have pasture we don't give them too much extra. Plenty of fresh water, goats can be picky about their water - we change our water out once per day. It is very important that the male goat drinks a lot because of urinary tract problems. During the spring & summer, ours are just on pasture with a mineral block, unless the does have kids then they get some goat chow as well. Do not give the goat chow free choice or they will eat it all. During the winter we feed them ahy which they get free choice. You may want to get a little goat feeder for the hay otherwise they will waste some of it.

I have 5 nigis, 3 never breed does and 2 wethers. I feed them burmuda hay, usually about 3 flakes a day for the 5 of them. Sometimes 4 if they are really loud. Goats always seem like they are starving. I feed very little grain, really just as a treat. Mine will not eat their hay if it touches the ground. They are also very picky about their water, it has to be spotless. For bedding I use either wheat straw from Home Depot or a huge bag of shavings from the feed store. I provide them with loose goat minerals. Make sure its for goats and not just livestock. Goats need copper and sheep do not. Just keep a little in a bowl and they will eat it as needed. A lot of people offer baking soda but mine never seemed to want it.

Back
Top Bottom