Feeding grass/weeds to hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pluto, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    We have not yet finished our chicken tractor and our hens have eaten all the grass in their pen. I scatter scratch to give them something to do (in addition to free choice layer pellets). But today I decided to give them a couple of handfulls of grass and oxolas. They scarfed it down. Is it safe to give the handfulls of grass/weeds?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I do it all the time if I have someone who can't get outside. Most of my flock free ranges all day, so they get all the grass and weeds they want, but the chicks in the brooders will be treated to a few handfuls of fresh picked greenery, or anyone who's stuck inside with an injury.

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    The greens are good for them.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure, of course, that's a significant part of what they naturally eat [​IMG]

Everything that gets weeded or cut back out of my garden (with the exception of a few potentially poisonous plants) and any turf scraps from edging or from enlarging beds or planting trees goes right into the chicken run, often several bushels at a time. They LOVE it, and after they've picked it over and pooed on it for a few weeks it composts wonderfully in the compost pile.

Oh, and when the ant mounds in the garden beds get too big, I dig them up and give 'em to the chickens too [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by