FEEDING HENS

okieguy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Noble ok
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF FEED I COULD FEED MY HEN ALL THE TIME I HARD SCRATCH WAS NOT GOOD TO FEED ALL THE TIME

A layer pellet will keep them in suficient calcium and minerals for good egg production. I use Honor Brand. The girls like it, the shells are thick walled, and it is relatively inexpensive.

Of course they eat tons of greens, worms and other goodies throughout the day as well.

Quote:
Sorry Brian this is not a dig at you, but too often I have seen on here, "The guy at the feedstore said to just feed them corn" TSC is famous for haveing associates that have never raised an animal let alone know anything about chickens. they usually do not know. Read the bag it will usually give you a chart saying what type of feed is recommended (it will always recommmend THIER brand, but most stores only carry one brand anyway) you can always ask if the person/place you are getting from knows about chickens first. Most will tell you yes/no if they do know, good but if not read the bag. Remember just because they work at a feed store, they may not have animals or chickens if they do have animals. OR If you know what type of feed (purina, nutreena, blue seal, etc.....) the store stocks, search it online prior to going. That way you know what you are looking for when you get there.

Quote:
Sorry Brian this is not a dig at you, but too often I have seen on here, "The guy at the feedstore said to just feed them corn" TSC is famous for haveing associates that have never raised an animal let alone know anything about chickens. they usually do not know. Read the bag it will usually give you a chart saying what type of feed is recommended (it will always recommmend THIER brand, but most stores only carry one brand anyway) you can always ask if the person/place you are getting from knows about chickens first. Most will tell you yes/no if they do know, good but if not read the bag. Remember just because they work at a feed store, they may not have animals or chickens if they do have animals. OR If you know what type of feed (purina, nutreena, blue seal, etc.....) the store stocks, search it online prior to going. That way you know what you are looking for when you get there.

I agree most of the time the feed store guy/girl is the last person I'd trust to advise me on any farm animal issues. I do trust for the most part the guys who work in the feed mill at our local coop only because most of them grew up on farms in our area and have personal experiance. Most of the people who work in our TSC and Orschelns' have no farm/animal background at all.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser and have oyster shell free choice for the hens. I don't feed Layena anymore because I don't think all that calcium is good for the roosters. It builds up in them and can do damage to their organs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom