Feeding Hog Feed to Chickens?

Should I feed it to them?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
i have left over hog feed after taking my pigs to the butcher... I read some other threads on here and I think seems the main difference is more protein and corn in hog feed and more calcium in chicken feed... Would it be okay to feed my chickens the hog feed?

There is no better supplement or even a better total ration for a chicken than hog feed or pig chow. The only reason that you don't see hog chow or feed on the ingredient tag when you buy chicken feed is because chicken feed is regarded by society as cheep or is that cheap?

This is a great time to feed hog feed because those new feathers are coming in or soon will be. When the molt is over you will be amazed at how slick, strong, & shiny, your flocks new feathers are.

I would use it. We used to use hog feed routinely with laying hens and got good production. Calcium supplementation needed. The concern I have is the hog feed was purchased some time ago and will likely take time to feed out to the chickens. Vitamin quality is going down so may not even be suitable for hogs at some point. If birds start becoming less thrifty, then supplement with a little chick starter to up dietary vitamins.

There is no better supplement or even a better total ration for a chicken than hog feed or pig chow. The only reason that you don't see hog chow or feed on the ingredient tag when you buy chicken feed is because chicken feed is regarded by society as cheep or is that cheap?

This is a great time to feed hog feed because those new feathers are coming in or soon will be. When the molt is over you will be amazed at how slick, strong, & shiny, your flocks new feathers are.

I figured the extra protein would be good! Although I don’t think they added very much to the #5.

I would use it. We used to use hog feed routinely with laying hens and got good production. Calcium supplementation needed. The concern I have is the hog feed was purchased some time ago and will likely take time to feed out to the chickens. Vitamin quality is going down so may not even be suitable for hogs at some point. If birds start becoming less thrifty, then supplement with a little chick starter to up dietary vitamins.
I doubt freshness is a problem. Most people Justus buy tons (not pounds) because it’s cheaper. Im pretty sure this stuff is about 2 months old.

A local mill in my area makes a sow mix that many people buy for chickens and have great success with it. Without knowing anything about your particular feed, it's hard to say.
Here is some info on it:

Attachments

• 4E148353-50ED-4108-B01A-299E4427A741.jpeg
    4E148353-50ED-4108-B01A-299E4427A741.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom