Feeding Layena to chickens that are laying??

mikenandrea

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Douglas, GA
Ok.. I have 2 chickens that are laying and 7 that are 3-4 months old.. Is it hurting the younger ones by not giving them chick starter? They are just as big as my layers..

Every young animal needs extra protein/vitamins/fat/minerals for the growth that they go through. While it wont kill your chickens, I would try and get them a good chick starter.

We give our hens layena from about 6 months old. When we had our younger pullets with them we had a separate feeder with start and grow. We figured all chickens ate from both feeders but hoped they would average out. The Layena has more calcium which I read was not so good for growing pullets but I didn't have room to separate them. Everyone turned out fine.

Wait until 7 mos? I've never heard that. Honestly, quite a few of my girls were laying before they hit the magic 5 mo mark. If it worries you, you could feed everyone flock raiser which is a step between chick starter and Layena and then just offer oyster shell for the ones who want it. But mine ate Layena and none of them have keeled over yet.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom