Feeding Leftovers from Smoked Trout?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I had an AWESOME DINNER!!!! Our neighbor got a bunch of fresh caught/smoked trout from a friend and gave us one for dinner. It was grrrreat!

I did a search on here, but can't get a good answer.

Can I feed the leftovers to the chickens? Some say only if it's canned - some say ok raw or canned - some say no because of parasites.... anyone feed smoked fish leftovers to their chickens?

We have skin, heads and bones left over. Man, it was DELICIOUS!

I don't know how good an idea it is, but it's only once -- I would do it. Seems like any danger of parasites would be just as much of a threat to you.

My chickens get fish however....fried (in small quantities), baked, raw, and smoked (they LOVE smoked salmon). Give it to 'em, they'll be your best friends forever!

Thanks, guys! I'm going to smash it/tear it up a little bit first, just to make sure there's enough for everyone to have a taste. I'm sure they're going to go crazy for it. We had some extra roasted pork left over the other day and the two of us wouldn't have been able to eat it all, so I hand fed it to the girls. Now every time they see me, they RUSH to my feet. We're starting to trip over them! Man, they really remember a good treat.

Safe to say they went crazy for it. I think they like pork more, though.

I'll let you guys know if my eggs taste like smoked fish. Maybe I'll start a new delicacy?

Safe to say they went crazy for it. I think they like pork more, though.

I'll let you guys know if my eggs taste like smoked fish. Maybe I'll start a new delicacy?
I was actually just looking for my ducklings. A friend of mine mentioned feeding them/getting dried minnows from the feed store. I was checking here first since I have some smoked trout I caught a couple years ago and have been in the freezer.

Attachments

• 0013AB28-201A-4A86-A346-0A6C8EF77738.jpeg
    0013AB28-201A-4A86-A346-0A6C8EF77738.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 4
I was actually just looking for my ducklings. A friend of mine mentioned feeding them/getting dried minnows from the feed store. I was checking here first since I have some smoked trout I caught a couple years ago and have been in the freezer.

Attachments

• D4D6032C-6B12-476C-9E7B-7409BC2CAD5A.jpeg
    D4D6032C-6B12-476C-9E7B-7409BC2CAD5A.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom