1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Leftovers from Smoked Trout?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I had an AWESOME DINNER!!!! Our neighbor got a bunch of fresh caught/smoked trout from a friend and gave us one for dinner. It was grrrreat!

I did a search on here, but can't get a good answer.

Can I feed the leftovers to the chickens? Some say only if it's canned - some say ok raw or canned - some say no because of parasites.... anyone feed smoked fish leftovers to their chickens?

We have skin, heads and bones left over. Man, it was DELICIOUS!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know how good an idea it is, but it's only once -- I would do it. Seems like any danger of parasites would be just as much of a threat to you.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chickens get fish however....fried (in small quantities), baked, raw, and smoked (they LOVE smoked salmon). Give it to 'em, they'll be your best friends forever!

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks, guys! I'm going to smash it/tear it up a little bit first, just to make sure there's enough for everyone to have a taste. I'm sure they're going to go crazy for it. We had some extra roasted pork left over the other day and the two of us wouldn't have been able to eat it all, so I hand fed it to the girls. Now every time they see me, they RUSH to my feet. We're starting to trip over them! Man, they really remember a good treat.

5. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Safe to say they went crazy for it. I think they like pork more, though.

I'll let you guys know if my eggs taste like smoked fish. Maybe I'll start a new delicacy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by