1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding medicated feed to new ducklings ?'s

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swheat, Oct 5, 2010.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I know there have been recent discussions on this and I know Amprol is safe for waterfowl. However I looked at my medicated feed bag label and Amprol is not listed, unless it is Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate.

ETA- I finally found an article saying it was a Coccidiostat and also for Blackhead on turkeys...Would this still be safe for newly hatched ducklings ?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I think you will find 2 definite sides to this issue, but from my understanding, neither Bactricin nor Amprolium are dangerous to ducks. That being said, I chose to raise mine on non-medicated feed. I didn't want to take any chances.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Well, I would also rather be safe than sorry. So I'll just pick up a bag of non-medicated in the morning.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    it's fine, BMD is mainly a treatment for bacterial enteritis which is commonly accompanied by coccidia. It is not a sulfur based coccidiant, not really a true coccidiant either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by