Feeding multi aged chickens in the same coop

Loving My Peeps

Chicken Whisperer
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Central, Maine
I have my layers and adult rooster (12 total) in a coop and just placed my now 9 week olds in there a few weeks ago. Since I had difficulty separating their food I decided to place everyone on grower feed and supplement with oyster shell. I use crumble now but was wondering if the smaller ones can handle a pellett? I can purchase Purina Flock raiser pellet for the same price as the blue seal start and grow. Any thoughts? Will it work for everyone?

Nine weekers should be able to handle FR just fine. If you notice they are having problems, just put it in a bag and whack it with a rolling pin to break it up a bit.

They'll handle pellets fine. Always feed to the younger birds and supplement the layers with oyster shell. That way you won't be giving younger birds something they don't need.

My chickens free range so I have not needed any grit. Now that the groundis frozen and a thin layer of snow is covering everything I probaby should get some grit to keep in there for everyone!!! Thanks for the suggestions.

Loving my peeps
Mine too free range but dont have sense enough to get out
of the rain or cold and its 20 here this morning.
this is their first winter out.I hard boil eggs for the little
one chopped and the shells I crush and feed to the rest.
but what to do for the coming cold any thoughts.
there are a lot
of bushed they can hide in but all is frozen.

Bad Idea to house juveniles and adults together... Adults are carriers for things that can affect young birds...such as Cocci.. no immunity yet.... If you start getting sick birds...(younguns..) you will know why now.

Quote:
That may be true if your adults and juveniles are from different owners--if you've kept them together from hatch or from day-olds they will probably have immunity from day one. I always raise my adults and chicks together in the same building with just a chicken-wire door between--never had a problem and they integrated fairly well when I took down the door.

I feed all of my adult hens grower/finisher. I wait til the chicks are almost as big as the adults so that way they can eat the same food and don't have to have different foods all over the place and that way the babies won't eat something they don't need and I have been doing this for over a year now.

Back
Top Bottom