Feeding my chickens right

Iluvchickens-2023

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
So I was feeding my 4 chickens the Purina medicated start and grow, I then got 2 dark Brahma pullets and continued using this feed.

3 hens lay now, a lavender maran, one Rhode Island Red and one olive egger. With a black copper maran rooster.

The two dark Brahma hens aren’t laying yet, I got 50lb oyster shell and I was wondering if this turkey feed will be enough or ok for my birds? it’s 25% protein but they do forage around because I let them leave their garden and enclosure area. I wanted 20-22% protein but at my feed store he said he had the Swanson turkey feed with 25%, I just don’t want it to be a issue and hopefully someone more experienced can give me some advice? I’m hoping it’s not too much protein and not enough nutrients, maybe they’ll dilute it some by foraging?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Its not so much protein it will be a health problem. Is is more protein than they need, meanin some of it will exit in the form of urates and higher nitrogen waste (ammonia, primarily). Water consumption may go up too.

SO, tl;dr? Slightly wasteful, not dangerous.

I raise all my birds on 24% CP to between 10 and 12 weeks, for complicated reasons. Not for everyone. But cost is the primary downside, not health.

Its not so much protein it will be a health problem. Is is more protein than they need, meanin some of it will exit in the form of urates and higher nitrogen waste (ammonia, primarily). Water consumption may go up too.

SO, tl;dr? Slightly wasteful, not dangerous.

I raise all my birds on 24% CP to between 10 and 12 weeks, for complicated reasons. Not for everyone. But cost is the primary downside, not health.
Thank you! as long as it won’t hurt them. Next time I might try looking elsewhere to find a more options for feed. The place I go to is small but has good prices on big bags.

Back
Top Bottom