Feeding my flock, confused and concerned.

IslandCrow

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Spanish Wells, Bahamas.
Ok so, my flock consists of 12 hens and one year old rooster at the moment feeding them corn, bread, mixed grains ect. I want more eggs though they're all laying occasionally but i think it'd be good to start them on layer for a bit but i am concerned for my rooster because I dont wanna starve him of good protein so how do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

Our roosters do just fine on layer feed. I don't know if yours are free range but they will find any extra protein they need, if you let them. If you are really worried then feed him some extra sunflower seeds or peanuts by hand because those are full of protein.

Ok so, my flock consists of 12 hens and one year old rooster at the moment feeding them corn, bread, mixed grains ect. I want more eggs though they're all laying occasionally but i think it'd be good to start them on layer for a bit but i am concerned for my rooster because I dont wanna starve him of good protein so how do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

If birds not free ranged diet you describe is inadequate.

Sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough, My birds aren't really free ranged they have a 150 by 100 run built onto my coop this is my first year of owning chickens ever so just trying to get the best for my birds the peanuts and sunflower seeds sound like a great idea thanks! As to feed being inadequate what else should go into their diet?

Something that might be something to think about, is that chickens are technically omnivores... So if you have meat for dinner, save some scraps for them, cut them up and make sure they are cooked (or they will go insane), and they will be much happier. If you want to keep them on a vegetarian diet then they need to get fish oil, or some other non vegetable oil. Chickens will eat just about anything, so whatever you have for left overs you can feed them, or anything left over from food preparation they will eat as well. Make sure that you de-worm them periodically, we use diatomaceous earth and put that in their food and that gets the job done, it is completely natural and safe.

Alrighty thanks much, that should work out real well seeing all the leftovers we have anyway, as for de-worming I just did that this week so they should be good for a few months. So I guess ima start my hens on layer feed and switch it up for them every couple days with leftovers and maybe scramble them a few eggs now and then.

If you want more eggs as well as healthy chickens, feed your flock layer feed. It won't hurt the rooster, and it will provide the hens the calcium and other nutrients they need to produce eggs while maintaining their own health.

I use an "all flock" feed, actually called "All Flock" by Nutrena. For the layers, I just put out free choice crushed oyster shell in a big dog dish. They'll take what they need. I have birds of all ages, lots of roosters in the flock, ducks and geese. They do range freely over my property - about 2/3rds of an acre - but I have feed for them 24/7.

Plus they get treats.... usually dry oatmeal, a cabbage hung from a shepherd's hook, BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds), occasionally shredded mozzarella cheese. Salad left-overs. Sometimes grapes.

[[[[.......corn, bread, mixed grains ect. ........... layer for a bit but i am concerned for my rooster because I dont wanna starve him of good protein.....]]]]]

Since corn, bread, and mixed grains are all too low on protein, I fail to see how feeding your rooster layer feed will starve him of good protein. It sounds like he is starved for good protein right now.

[[[[.......corn, bread, mixed grains ect. ........... layer for a bit but i am concerned for my rooster because I dont wanna starve him of good protein.....]]]]]

Since corn, bread, and mixed grains are all too low on protein, I fail to see how feeding your rooster layer feed will starve him of good protein. It sounds like he is starved for good protein right now.

X2
Layer feed is usually 16 or 17 % protein. Bread and corn are about 10%. Bread really doesn't provide much that they need and is probably too high in salt.
The only concern for the rooster is the added calcium from the layer but most people don't report any issues so I wouldn't worry about it.
All things considered, the best production will come from a diet that is entirely layer feed. Other things in total should be less than 10% of the total intake if you want to get them back on a laying track.

Back
Top Bottom