Feeding Organic rations to Quail...a "complete" diet is needed

For those of you trying to raise your quail organically, can you please drop Scratch and Peck an email to let them know there is a market for Corn and Soy free Organic game bird feed? I know a few have already, but more is better.

Thank you, Julie :)

For those of you trying to raise your quail organically, can you please drop Scratch and Peck an email to let them know there is a market for Corn and Soy free Organic game bird feed? I know a few have already, but more is better.

Thank you, Julie :)
As luck would have it, I sent a few e-mails back and forth with their CSR, oh, a month+ ago? The challenge is the protein source in order to stay USDA Organic. That's something I don't fully understand as I see other brands of feed (not corn or soy free, though) with higher protein. They recommended feeding the 20.5% protein chick starter, and adding extra fish meal if necessary, but told me they have people raising quail on this feed with no problems, if that means anything to anybody. Their turkey starter is the same protein ratio.

I am currently using S&P Starter I do add fishmeal as suggested. I also add oyster shell and scrambled eggs. My quail get extra frozen defrosted meal worms with an organic greens salad each day. It would be nice to have an all in one feed without having to doctor it up for those higher protien levels. Also it has come to my attention that there are rumors they won't be offering fish meal much longer.

They didn't really say I had to add fishmeal, they just said if I was concerned I *could*, but the people that use the chick starter for quail from them as-is do just fine, if that helps at all...

I really hope S&P doesn't stop carrying fishmeal though... :/ Theirs is the best I've found. I was thinking of offering it free-choice instead of mixing it in (as it's so pricey).

Last edited:

Yes and I've fed that exact feed before, btw I get my chicken's feed there. It's perfectly fine for all ages of coturnix. The only thing I don't like is that feed doesn't ferment well for me, it tends to clump, so I get the Ranchway 26% turkey starter at The Stock Shop locally as it ferments beautifully. It also affords me the flexibility to run and get feed as I need it instead of having to wait for the co-op order to come in every two months so if I decide to raise a batch of chicks I just run and get more feed. Go for it and see how you like the feed.

Yes and I've fed that exact feed before, btw I get my chicken's feed there. It's perfectly fine for all ages of coturnix. The only thing I don't like is that feed doesn't ferment well for me, it tends to clump, so I get the Ranchway 26% turkey starter at The Stock Shop locally as it ferments beautifully. It also affords me the flexibility to run and get feed as I need it instead of having to wait for the co-op order to come in every two months so if I decide to raise a batch of chicks I just run and get more feed. Go for it and see how you like the feed.
where I can get Ranchway 26% in eat valley

Kahlertm,
Thanks for the great information. I have been searching for a soy-free, corn-free organic, non GMO feed. I found a few that could work, but I don't know about the nutrients since I'm a newbie. Blue Stem Turkey has 28% protein, Hugelland Geame/Turkey are 25-26% protein, this is a non GMO formula, Texas Naturals is 28% protein, but it's peanut protein, H & H is soy and corn free as well as organic and GMO free and it is also 28% protein. My biggest problem is not spending a fortune on shipping. Do you know if any of these feeds would work? I know you've done a lot of research on this and I'm just starting. I don't have 11 mos. since my eggs will be here in 4 weeks.

Thank You,
SuseyQ

Back
Top Bottom