Feeding Organic Starter/Grower to Adult Laying Hens?

Tiffany7724

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
I was wondering if it was okay to feed organic starter/grower to my adult laying hens? I provide oyster shell as well but my feed store doesnt offer an organic laying crumble...just the starter/grower...

It is perfectly fine and some people (like myself) prefer that because the hens get to regulate their own calcium. As long as they have oyster they will get everything they need. Make sure it is not the medicated chick starter. But a general grower is great.

Last edited:
Yep. Your hens will be fine on starter. I switched my three adults from Layer back to Starter months ago when I integrated some babies into the flock. They have a big bowl of oyster shells and I try and save, dry, crush egg shells which I put out for them too.

I got a soft shelled egg or two when I made this transition but haven't seen one since.

I was looking at your thread about feeding organic starter grower feed to my adult chickens. I have a similar question. Is it ok if you feed them only the above feed and for how long, or is it better to maybe mix in some other type of food? like layer feed for e.g.

Last edited:
X3, I feed pretty much all my birds a 20% chick Starter, and have oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. Do like the slightly higher protein% since I don't worry that much if I feed them treats etc about getting their protein% too low and affecting their egg laying etc. The most important difference between Layer and Starter/Grower is the higher amount of Calcium in Layer, the other usual difference is the protein percentage. Most chick Starters are a little higher than most Layer feed and why Starter is usually more expensive, protein is money and around 16% seems to be where the amount of protein evens out with egg production commercially.

Back
Top Bottom