1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Feeding Pheasants using DDG's (Dried Distillers Grains)

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by setchmoe, Mar 16, 2013.

1. setchmoe

setchmoe New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I raise pheasants to hunt recreationally in the fall. I release the roosters in the fall and keep the hens til spring and then release them. Lately I have been feeding them bomgaars pheasant feed which is around 20% protein and other nutrients. However this has become real expensive as a 50 lb bag of feed averages $12 to $18 dollars. What I am wondering is can I start feeding my pheasants DDG's and keep them on DDG's from when they are chicks to when I release them in the spring and not change feed's. The components of the DDG's is 11.7% Moisture; 35.9% protein; 3.7% fat; 8.72% starch; 22.9% NDF; 8.9% ADF; 6.2% CRFIB; and .28% GlucFruc Equivelant. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Distillers grains are supposed to be greatr for chicken/pheasants and birds. I have a chance to get some from a local brewerey but cant figure out how to dry them. They told me they come in a 4x4 tote with 400 to 800 pounds in it. wish i can figure something out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by