feeding pumpkin to chickens?

peep this

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Hi!
I've read that chickens love pumpkin. So far my chickens have been indifferent. Do you cook your pumpkins before giving them to the chickens so they are soft or just cut them in half and plop them out in the coop with the girls?
Thanks!

I brought home a large pumpkin that had a couple of soft spots in it last Friday. I didn't even bother to cut it open, just plopped it out in the chicken pen. The chickens worked on it, starting with the soft spots, all weekend. There is not a trace of the pumpkin left. Kept them busy, that's for sure!

I'm going to try it this weekend, as they're calling for cold and rain, so it may be a boredom buster for them if they have to stay in.

mine have never tried it, and they're pretty indifferent about new things, sometimes it just takes a little while till they figure out what a treat they're getting, then it's:
wee.gif
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

oh, and about cooking it, I'm sure it's personal preference but I would guess that the nutritional value is higher in uncooked. me, I'm not gonna bother cooking it for them JMHO

Last edited:
Last year I fed my girls butternut squash and they wouldn't touch it so hubs microwaved it until soft then let it cool. He brought it back out to them and they devoured it. I guess they prefer cooked to raw.
roll.png

My mom steams pumpkin for her birds all the time. They love it!! I do not have the time for that. My birds will pick at a raw one but they would like it better cooked.

I cut pumpkins into 1/4 (so no one can hog it all) and place it in several places around the run.. My chickens LOVE it... no cooking and if I don't have a knife handy, I just drop it and it will bust into several pcs... the seeds go first and then into pulp and the rind is the last to go..

Zazouse, You need to frame your picture =it's great... thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom