feeding pumpkin to chickens?

I baked a futsu squash a couple of days ago and took the rind with just a little left on it out to the birds. I can't find a bit left, I wonder if they liked it?
roll.png

I'm going to plant lady godiva pumpkins next year for the naked pumpkin seeds they produce. I figure I can feed the girls the pumpkin flesh that is pretty flavoless to them. win/win for me
bun.gif

My 26 chickens are 9 and 13 weeks old and just looooooveeee pumpkins!! I've taken the pumpkin guts out and then had a few pumpkins that I just didnt need and gave to them cut in half... there isn't a piece of pumpkin left in sight.

We had to be out of town for two days last weekend and thought that a pumpkin would be the perfect thing to keep our 7 busy for a while. We just cut it in half and put the halves in the run. Our chickens looked at the pumpkin, then looked at us as if to say, "What in the world is that?!!!" They are a little suspicious of new things but we thought that they would start working on it when the other treats were gone. We came back the next day and the pumpkin halves had not been touched. We left them in all this week and even put their yoghurt/tomato treats in the pumpkins to encourage them to try it. They ate the treats, pulled some of the pumpkin seeds out and left them uneaten, and pecked a little on the pumpkin. The pumpkins are headed for the compost pile today. Crazy chickens! We'll try again next week when we carve pumpkins for Halloween. My guess is that they would prefer it cooked and handfed! Yes, they are spoiled!
lol.png

I never thought of feeding one to my chickens. This is a great idea. I have 19 pumpkins that I grew this year and was wondering what I was going to do with all of them. My dog loves pumpkin and I make pumpkin pie but still 19 is to many.

So far the girls are just ignoring the pumpkin....
I cut it up into 4ths and called them over.
Oh well....

LivinNewDreamInND
Be careful pumpkin usually causes diarrhea in dogs. Ask me how i found that one out. The HARD way! Had to take him to the vet and he only ate a couple mouthfuls. The vet said the keep canned pumpkin on hand for a more natural alternative when a dog is constipated.

I am definately going to have to try giving my girls a pumpkin soon.

Tried this with my chickens this weekend they LOVED the pumpkins....it was alot of fun watching them go after them as well.
I cut the pumpkin in half

Back
Top Bottom