Feeding quails that are producing eggs.

Just bought myself broiler pellets, starter feed and layer feed which are sold as chicken feed. I can't find and gamebird feed.

Do I need to add water to the feed or give them directly as a powder or make it as a mash?

The powder has some granular particle on it.

I tried mixing broiler feed with lower protein feed to get it to the right levels and they didnt eat the powdery broiler feed, so try making it a mash.

I can't get gamebird starter here only chicken starter.

I fill the yesterday and there were food remaining. The birds are feeding all the time. Is is bad to over them? Should I feed them only twice a day and not leave food during the day?

I can't get gamebird starter here only chicken starter.

I fill the yesterday and there were food remaining. The birds are feeding all the time. Is is bad to over them? Should I feed them only twice a day and not leave food during the day?

I fed mine turkey starter which has a higher percent protein than chicken feed.

if you do egg shells of any kind as a calcium suppliment, be sure to clean them of ALL the egg inside the shell and crush them up into very small pieces. it promotes egg eating if you don't...
I have always preferred oyster shell and keeping it in the pin with the layers at all times... if you don't, shells will begin to weaken over time and the bones of the layers as well.
The calcium for the shell has to come from somewhere... their bones are the only other source of calcium they have if it is not otherwise provided.

Sorry to jump into this thread but I have a similar question. I have 1, possibly 2 female quail. They are all 7 weeks old today, when should my girls lay? I'm worried I'm not going to get anything! The petshop recommended traditional layer mash, I've just been giving it them as the powder/grain that it comes as. Is this wrong?

They also have mealworms daily and some form of fruit/veg every morning such as apple, carrot, grape or cucumber.

Any advice is welcome as I don't really know what I'm doing!

Only because I don't know how to do my own thread. I have 20 females and they are about 7 weeks old now. Will they lay eggs without male birds around? I should've bought males as well but was worried of being to noisy. I want them mainly for egg production. Thanks ahead.

Back
Top Bottom