feeding question for chicks. Advice please.

chicknduck

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Ohio
I have some chicks that are a week old and I have given them some boilled egg yolk with water and crumbles. I did this because I wanted them to gain strength after being shipped. I would like advice on how often to give this to them, they are all doing fine, they just go crazy for it. They all still eat plain crumbles also. Thanks in advance.
I have a habit of spoiling my critters and I just want to see how much is good.

Hey Chickn, I feed mine twice a day. Boiled egg mixed in with Chick Starter the first week. Second week I begin chick starter alone. Some people put sugar in their water the first week or so. I found that if you use light brown sugar, they don't get the pasty butt so bad, if at all. Also if you hang a small head of cabbage (or a large piece) inside their coop or brooder, they don't peck each other either. This goes for the adults as well. Good Luck!

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Hey Chickn, I feed mine twice a day. Boiled egg mixed in with Chick Starter the first week. Second week I begin chick starter alone. Some people put sugar in their water the first week or so. I found that if you use light brown sugar, they don't get the pasty butt so bad, if at all. Also if you hang a small head of cabbage (or a large piece) inside their coop or brooder, they don't peck each other either. This goes for the adults as well. Good Luck!

Thank you so much. I did put a little sugar in it, that would explain the pasty butt. and I love the cabbage idea. I have a treat ball I use for m hens, i am gonna have to borrow it from them for the babies.
smile.png

You are very welcome
smile.png
Always glad to help if I can. Good idea for pasty butt, hold baby chick butt under luke warm water for about 1/2 minute (just by the butt), then take a kleenex and gently peel away the pasty on the butt.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom