Feeding question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Monstertone, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I have several two month old pullets that are on "Start and Grow" feed, and several year old hens that were on "Layena". They now intermingle, and at the advice of a
    forum member here, I am feeding them all "start and grow" (to prevent the youngster from getting too much calcium) and I'm going to have a separate oyster shell
    supplement for the hens so that they still get their needed calcium.

Question is - Can I just put some Oyster shell out in a bowl, and allow them all to eat it, assuming only the hens will eat it if they feel it is necessary, or should I place the bowl in a manner that it is out of reach of the youngsters? (which may be tricky)

Any advice appreciated.

-Tom

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would just put it out in a bowl. Those that need it, will take it.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    I placed a bowl of oystershell and one of Grit in the Run, and just let them free feed. I have not see any problems with this.

The feeders all have food 24/7, so I figured the grit & Oystershell should be the same.
    [​IMG]

4. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    I'd mount the bowl to something heavy, or somehow ensure that it will not get kicked over. I am temporarily using a large metal junction box screwed to a piece of 2x6 until I get around to building a wall-mounted PVC feeder just for oyster shell. I originally had a cool-whip container in there, but they either played in it or dumped it all over, even though it was fairly heavy with oyster shell in it.

5. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    I just place oyster shell in a feeder attached to the wall. It is available 24/7-365. I learned to keep it mounted on the wall so it doesn't get kicked over or pooped in.

6. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Good info here. Thank you, all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by