Feeding schedule and questions

I thought about just giving them all the feed they want, but have opted to restrict it, as the birds have the full run of the yard and can eat grubs, worms, and grass all day.

I was told by the guy I bought the chickens from that if you feed them more they will just eat more. I am of the camp that says over feed them and you will just cause problems and make them unhealthy.

I usually feed them when I get up which means 0530 to 0630 and then sometimes I feed them during the day.

I thought about just giving them all the feed they want, but have opted to restrict it, as the birds have the full run of the yard and can eat grubs, worms, and grass all day.

I was told by the guy I bought the chickens from that if you feed them more they will just eat more. I am of the camp that says over feed them and you will just cause problems and make them unhealthy.

I usually feed them when I get up which means 0530 to 0630 and then sometimes I feed them during the day.

Given the choice between commercial feed and the things they can find foraging, they will opt for the forage nearly every time - which prevents overeating of commercial feed with foraging birds - even with non foraging groups I have not once had a bird overeat or become obese on free fed commercial diet
idunno.gif
I'm actually a person who likes all my animals a bit on the lean side - and would not hesitate to restrict feed were the birds to show they need it, but in all the years and all the birds I've had I have not once had one show that need.

Last edited:
Given the choice between commercial feed and the things they can find foraging, they will opt for the forage nearly every time - which prevents overeating of commercial feed with foraging birds - even with non foraging groups I have not once had a bird overeat or become obese on free fed commercial diet
idunno.gif
I'm actually a person who likes all my animals a bit on the lean side - and would not hesitate to restrict feed were the birds to show they need it, but in all the years and all the birds I've had I have not once had one show that need.
Thanks OGM, I appreciate the thought. I am not married to my opinion.

Sorry - free feed means that feed is available in their feeder 24/7/365 and the birds are able to eat it "freely" anytime they wish -- as opposed to having set feed times at which one would go out and put a specific amount of feed into the feeder to be consumed at that specific time by the birds with no additional food being given until the next scheduled feeding time.

Ah ok I see! Would love the know about the benefits and disadvantages of free feed- any good webpages on it?

Just my opinion, but I would never confine my chickens anywhere that they didn't have access to at least water. I have both food and water available at all times. I have a lot of chickens, so I have several feed stations. I try to avoid any "one at a time" feeders or waterers because I believe that causes stressful situations for the birds.

I am also not a big fan of treats. I am a big fan of as diverse a selection of forage options as possible.

Just my opinion, but I would never confine my chickens anywhere that they didn't have access to at least water. I have both food and water available at all times. I have a lot of chickens, so I have several feed stations. I try to avoid any "one at a time" feeders or waterers because I believe that causes stressful situations for the birds.

I am also not a big fan of treats. I am a big fan of as diverse a selection of forage options as possible.

One of the most common situations in which there would be confinement without food/water would be during the overnight hours for those who want to keep feed/water outside of the coop but use a closed coop as a security measure while the birds are at roost. This is no issue from a health or safety standpoint for the birds because while they are at roost they do not eat/drink. As long as the flock is released at a reasonable time in the morning to have access to the feed/water it is not a problem. There are pros and cons to both scenarios - feed/water inside the coop or feed//water outside the coop - and management plans that allow for the use of either without any detriment to the flock.

My 6 chicks are about 12 or 13 weeks old. I keep the food & water in the coop. I wake up at 5am and feed its funny they are still on the roost. Nobody seems to be in a hurry. Their food is 2 cups soaked feed I also give them some sort of veggie/fruit snack. When I get home from work I give the 1/2 cup dry feed (1 cup wasn't getting finished) and I let them out of the run.
They seem to be happy and satisfied because they wonder back into the run on their on free will.

Ah Ok I see. No I agree with you during roaming times I would make sure they always have access to water! But mine don't have access to water in the evening because I don't want pests in their coop...

Do you find it reduces bullying operating a free feeding policy!?

One of the most common situations in which there would be confinement without food/water would be during the overnight hours for those who want to keep feed/water outside of the coop but use a closed coop as a security measure while the birds are at roost. This is no issue from a health or safety standpoint for the birds because while they are at roost they do not eat/drink. As long as the flock is released at a reasonable time in the morning to have access to the feed/water it is not a problem. There are pros and cons to both scenarios - feed/water inside the coop or feed//water outside the coop - and management plans that allow for the use of either without any detriment to the flock.

I believe there are too many points at which that system can fail, and I believe it is important to mention this aspect of flock management to a person new to keeping chickens. Long, hot days like are happening now in North America ... the thought of birds not able to get to the water at first light, which is well before sunrise, disturbs me.

I do confine my birds in a secure coop at night, and I have food and water available in the coop.

Ah Ok I see. No I agree with you during roaming times I would make sure they always have access to water! But mine don't have access to water in the evening because I don't want pests in their coop...

Do you find it reduces bullying operating a free feeding policy!?

I find leaving food and water outdoors increases pests. I have no problems with pests inside my coop, which is where I keep my feed and water. I believe the notion that feed & water inside the coop increases pests is erroneous. My opinion is that if the coop truly is secure from predators, there should be no issue with pests.

I do set out extra water in shady spots during the day if it's hot and dry. My coops are wide open all day, so the flock can come & go. I also believe in having more than one door (but I have a lot of birds). I believe it is better to have feed and water stations where more than one bird can eat at a time. It doesn't take much competition to inspire bullying. My flock is more content when there are options. I try to put things where they seem to want them.

Everyone has their own unique system for managing their flock and everyone's birds are different. You can conduct your own experiment to see how your particular birds react to the "one at a time" feeder vs. all three of them getting to eat at the same time. Constantly assess their condition, listen to the noises they make, watch their traffic patterns. Then tweak your system to adjust to their needs. Don't be afraid to change anything and everything about how you do things ...

I've seen those cool DIY bucket feeders with the PVC corner pipe with 3 holes. Trough feeders seem to inspire more competitive bullying than round hopper feeders (maybe because they're looking at the hopper while they eat instead of facing another bird?), but trough feeders have other advantages. I have both types in every coop (again, I have a lot of birds).

Back
Top Bottom