Feeding Scraps To Chickens

thats a third of the reason I cant wait for our girls!!
1. they eat scraps that would otherwise fill the landfill
2. thier manure is good for compost
3. EGGS!!!

Between recycling, composting & our chickens we wont need our trash service!! --too bad its a city law to have it : (

Why does everyone else's chickens love table scraps but mine turn their beak at anything that isn't gourmet? I'm not kidding- I tried the old strawberry tops and carrot peels- completely ignored. If I chop up a hard boiled egg they pick around the shell. If it ain't cheese, meat, noodle or worm- they ain't going to touch it.

Why are they so spoiled????

I feed mine scraps all the time anything green they love. My son through out stuff from the fridge witch included mash potatos and beans and they ate it. They also love old Biscuits and Bread

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot one other thing.....

If you have any leftover frozen veggies, they love that as well. If we make too much peas or corn for dinner, we just save the remainder for you know who.

-Mark

My girls are spoiled rotten. I make them warm oatmeal on cold mornings. They tend to stand in it, maybe warming their feet. I get them a head of cabbage or a couple of ears of corn when I go to the grocery store. They do get left overs some times. They are quite partial to yorkshire pudding, they love strawberry tops and have been know to pick a ham bone clean.

we have put cooked chicken, turkey, rabbit, and squirrel carcasses out for our chickens after we were done with them. They picked them clean. It is amazing. We also put our steak bones out for the chickens. They love it. Of course we put about everthing else that's edible that we'd put in the garbage out for the chickens. Their primary diet, of course, if layer feed, but they do like all these other treats. About the only things I've found my hens won't eat are raisins, beats, and potato peels.

I am laughing out
gig.gif
loud at the image of chickens standing in oatmeal
lau.gif
to warm their feet.
clap.gif
ROFLMAO!!! Too funny!

gig.gif

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom