feeding scraps

I don't give Chicks treats/scraps till 10 weeks old.
I get day old Chicks. No Rooster or Broody here.
I feed them a Medicated Start and Grow feed from day old through 10 weeks. Then when bag is empty, I switch to a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble.
The Chick feed has the perfect balance of Vitamins, Minerals and Protein Chicks need to grow up healthy.
Of course when I put them outside after 5 weeks, they eat grass, weeds, bugs and worms they find. GC

Middle of the first week I dig up a suitable size piece of sod with about an inch or so of dirt. By the time I come from work that evening typically its completely destroyed. Most of the dirt has fallen through the wire floor. A couple pieces of gumbo has dried out into concrete consistency and is too large to go through the floor. They chase that all through the brooder.

I used to not do this based on advice here warning of impacted crop from the grass. Never had that problem but the chicks sure seem more vigorous this year with the addition of that sod a couple 3x a week.

How old should a chick be before chopping up vegetable scraps and feeding them to the chicks?
They never really need vegetable scraps....more for the keepers pleasure than the chicks health. Chick starter only will make them healthiest.

Grit first.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

Back
Top Bottom