feeding shamo

is there a simple feed mix for shamo poults as I think game need different food than other chickens
cheers
Hi there! :frow

I like the way you're thinking.. as in get the right nutrition for my fowl. :highfive:

However... as far as I know Shamo is still a chicken and I would use chicken feed even though they call it a game cock. Depending on age a starter feed with 22% protein should be fine.

Actual game birds would be something like chuckar, partridge, pheasant, quail, grouse, or turkey.... basically those game birds have a higher protein requirement when young. There are game bird feeds for sell at most feed stores... and that is the simplest to me. Oh wait, now I see you are in England. You may not have the same exact product available... but if you do have a formulated chicken starter or flock raiser feed, that should be fine... oyster shell or other calcium source should be made available once laying sets in.

I sometimes use a game bird or turkey starter ration for my chickens when I want a protein boost while young or during molt. They are about 24-30% protein. It won't hurt your chickens to have a little extra protein... but Shamo... is a chicken.

Hope this helps. I am also here to learn! :pop

I was thinking 20 percent protein chick crumb with boiled egg 2 times a week then at 6 week 16 percent growers with boiled egg 2 times a week is this ok
if I mix corn with the growers will the protein go up or down
cheers

I was thinking 20 percent protein chick crumb with boiled egg 2 times a week then at 6 week 16 percent growers with boiled egg 2 times a week is this ok
if I mix corn with the growers will the protein go up or down
cheers
Adding corn will make your protein go down as well as your vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Corn is around 7% protein.

Eggs... protein is more digestible when cooked (I know you already said boiled so just informational). They are 34% protein and 64% fat by energy (calories). Half the protein is in the yolk though.

I personally wouldn't reduce the protein that far at 6 weeks. I would wait closer to 20... IF that's what I was going to do...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

Please note a typo in the table 2 pic... under layer strains it says 5-17% and it should say 15-17%.

I also wouldn't feed eggs twice per week due to the fat content... but whatever makes sense to you, with the information you have. :)

Back
Top Bottom