Feeding silkie chick with wry neck?

nmr

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Metro West Massachusetts
I have a silkie chick (hatched 12/25/20) with wry neck and I’m wondering if I should start trying to feed her with an oral syringe.

I was hoping someone could point me to a good video or instructions for hand-feeding a chick with wry neck. She does seem to be eating and drinking on her own, but since we separated her from her hatch-mates earlier today, I’m worried she may stop. We separated her because she was getting accidentally bulldozed by the others and I didn’t want them to hurt her.

Currently she’s getting nutridrench (oral syringe and in her water), vitamin e w/selenium gel with a syringe 3-4 x a day.

thanks!

Selenium can be overdosed, so many just give a small amount of scrambled egg for plenty of selenium. Vitamin E cannbe overdosed, and I would limit it to 400 IU daily. Thiamine or B1 would also be good to give, just a little. B complex 1/4 tab daily or a small amount of liver has that. Chick vitamins also has it. Here is a good video:

Im not sure about the duck egg and I didn't have luck with my first wry neck silkie myself but I am wondering if it was something else as it developed very fast and was to the extreme. No self eating or drinking. I would take advantage of the self eating and drinking as much as possible. Try putting crushed pill and liquid vitamins on scrambled egg.
Id try to keep with one other chick or at least in the same room to reduce stress.

Another tip I got in my journey of searching is how miraculous poly-visol is the one without Iron 2x a day! A few drops via syringe slowly so the chick doesn't aspirate on it and people saw improvement in 1-2 days.

Update: So far, so good. Chick is holding her head up straighter and it only seems to turn back when I pick her up. I'm convinced she hates me now and she proves it by only eating when my husband does the feeding

I've been giving her nutridrench and vitamin b complex directly once a day and still giving her a bit of the vitamin e/selenium gel twice a day. She's also been getting eggs, grit, and I'm looking for other veggies/high vitamin foods to try.

Thank you all!!

Back
Top Bottom