feeding sprouts, grass alternative?

There's a gal who grows and feeds sprouts to her flock. The set-up is brilliant: a systems of trays that are continually sprouting wheat grass. Her girls have a fresh tray every day, all year round. Here's a link. Hope it works
My Blog

That is an awesome setup! Wow!
thumbsup.gif

I too have an unheated greenhouse, I may have to get ambitious and try that on a much smaller scale. Then if it works I could build the little holder like she did. I wonder where she got those big sprouting baskets?

I am in Arlington.
frow.gif

I have some bakery trays that were given to me that I'm going to try to use. I've hot glued fabric window screening to them and I have my first two trays going now. I'll report back on how it works.

Since your fairly close though let me know if you find those baskets like she uses at any of the stores around here. I looked them up on Amazon and there were some that looked alot like them but they were $20 for 2 baskets. That's a little rich for my blood.

I have 5 chickens that are enclosed and I just move everything around the yard once a month or so, I have 3 spots that always grow back, takes about 2 hours to move everything, I constructed the run out of little weight material and the coop is small enough to move myself. Works great!

It might sound strange but thrift stores always have all kinds of bins and baskets.
The idea of giving the hens fresh greens all the time is wonderful. I found a shade mix I wanted to try and all the suggestions here are good. I think I like the individual trays that are started outside the run and then rotated with new ones.

Our chickens are in an enclosed run that is empty of any natural growing greenery. When my husband mows our lawn (over an acre) we give them the fresh grass clippings. They go nuts over this treat they receive 2x per week :)

My dad gives his hens hay and they devour it...same thing with lawn clippings. My neighbors save all thier green scraps for me and leave them on our porch "chicken treats" we call them..anything they don't eat just gets walked on and turns into great compost in a short time. Also, I send my son out on patrol for snails which he collects from throughout the yard and then we toss them into the coop and watch the girls steal them out of each others beaks. Feels good to get revenge on the snails....and the girls get some healthy protien to boot!

Back
Top Bottom