Feeding Suggestions

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Howdy! My two hens are 4 months old now and I just finished their bag of grower. I’m assuming they should be on it for 6 months, but I’m not certain so I figured to ask! Otherwise, I was planning on switching them to some all poultry pellets or an all poultry-type feed anyways. That is the future plan regardless, as I also have chickens and plan on getting other birds.

TL;DR:

4 month old turkeys; keep on grower or able to switch to all poultry?

What kind of all poultry pellets are available, and or what is recommended?

And just for funsies, have some pictures!
IMG_8150.jpeg IMG_8154.jpeg IMG_8159.jpeg IMG_8158.jpeg IMG_7941.jpeg IMG_7428.jpeg
Yes, I free range my turks. They love it! Haven’t had any issues whatsoever. :)

Was it a chicken or turkey grower they were eating? What was the crude protein?
By 4 months you can change their feed. Actually, even the all-flock may be more protein than they need for now. I'll probably get some disagreement on this here but they aren't doing a lot of growing any more so 18% crude protein would be sufficient now.
If the all poultry or all flock feed is about 20% protein, you can modify that temporarily with a bit of grain. Free ranging takes a lot of the guess work out of it. They will find things to self-regulate their protein intake. By now they will have transitioned from invertebrates to seeds and tubers.

Was it a chicken or turkey grower they were eating? What was the crude protein?
By 4 months you can change their feed. Actually, even the all-flock may be more protein than they need for now. I'll probably get some disagreement on this here but they aren't doing a lot of growing any more so 18% crude protein would be sufficient now.
If the all poultry or all flock feed is about 20% protein, you can modify that temporarily with a bit of grain. Free ranging takes a lot of the guess work out of it. They will find things to self-regulate their protein intake. By now they will have transitioned from invertebrates to seeds and tubers.
They were on a duck/goose/turkey grower/finisher! I believe it was 30%. I’ve watched them as they went about their day and I notice they eat a lot of grass and probably seed, and the occasional worm they manage to find.

But, anywho. Do you have any recommendations for any all flocks/poultry? Never bought it before! Always had chickens, so this all is very new to me! 😅

Howdy! My two hens are 4 months old now and I just finished their bag of grower. I’m assuming they should be on it for 6 months, but I’m not certain so I figured to ask! Otherwise, I was planning on switching them to some all poultry pellets or an all poultry-type feed anyways. That is the future plan regardless, as I also have chickens and plan on getting other birds.

TL;DR:

4 month old turkeys; keep on grower or able to switch to all poultry?

What kind of all poultry pellets are available, and or what is recommended?

And just for funsies, have some pictures!
View attachment 3691968View attachment 3691970View attachment 3691971View attachment 3691972View attachment 3691973View attachment 3691974
Yes, I free range my turks. They love it! Haven’t had any issues whatsoever. :)
At 4 months old they will be fine on a good all flock feed. The all flock with free choice oyster shell will be fine for all your poultry.

Back
Top Bottom