Feeding the Cornish X

Ok cool,

I am going to be raising mine free range too. I know several people who do and they seem to say the same thing you do free range or not by 7 weeks they are lazy and too big for themselves......The free ranging will make for such healthier meat is the biggest advantage to me. Plus i see no point in raising birds if they live just like the one I can buy in the store. In no way was my comment about environment meant to dismiss your process. I was just saying that I think thats a huge part of it.....Being able to be a chicken.....even for only 8 weeks

The layer mash you fed.....did it contain soy for protein. The one thing that seems to slow them down alot is soy free.

thanks for sharing everything

This is our first year allowing the birds to free range dawn to dusk. Years past they were out for an hour or 2 a day. There coop is seperated from our layers coop. They eat twice a day a mix our feed mill makes. Honestly there is a difference weight wise this years are smaller I am assuming since they running around all day. I haven't seen a difference in a appearance my birds stay healthy looking because I spend the extra money/time on cleaning there coop twice a week. We have 35 and if you don't clean the coop enough they look terrible. This is our last year doing more then 5! And I agree I like free range better they do appear happier and less stressed. They are being killed Wed and we are actually having the people come to our farm! Thought this was so great they did this since its such a stress filled day when you have to transfer them! And we want them to go with as little stress.

The layer mash you fed.....did it contain soy for protein. The one thing that seems to slow them down alot is soy free.

Yes, it had soy proteins instead of animal protein.

My niece raised a batch of meaties on just cracked corn....they all thrived well and finished about the same as those fed on the recommended regimens. Go figure!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom