Feeding Too Much?

springchicken10

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
I have week old chicks. They are doing great and eating like crazy. They are eating pulverized chicken scratch and chicken pelleted feed. Is there any such thing as feeding them too much? Thanks

Not an expert on this as I'm pretty new at this too but I though scratch was supposed to be more for a treat. I think they should be on a specific Chick Starter feed. And then I don't think there is too much. Just make sure they always have access to their starter feed and make sure they are not getting to many treats

Just feed them the chick starter. Chicks need 18-22% protein to spur their growth. They not only have body mass to develop, but skeleton, organs and especially feathers to grow.

They are your chicks so feed them what you wish. Mine get the best Starter I can buy and that is virtually all they get to eat for the first 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks. Three of mine look just like the black one on the left of your picture. What kind is that? These are unknown (until they grow up).

I agree, chick starter should be their only ration. You can however feed some Freeze dried meal worms as a treat maybe once a day. They go crazy for them once they figure out what they are, and they are 52% protein so a very nutritious snack also. You don't need grit with the meal worms, but if you add scratch or greens they will need to have access to chick grit.

What brand do you get? I have 2 month old chicks and have been feeding minethe chick starter the feed store sells in bulk and have no idea how nutritious it is or if it's organic. We also dig up worms for them because its fun and they love it!
Just feed them the chick starter.   Chicks need 18-22% protein to spur their growth.  They not only have body mass to develop, but skeleton, organs and especially feathers to grow.  

They are your chicks so feed them what you wish.  Mine get the best Starter I can buy and that is virtually all they get to eat for the first 8 weeks.

Baby chicks should have access to food and water 24/7.

They will not overeat.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
They will (and should) eat 24 hours a day until you take away the light and then they will eat during only the day.

Be aware that worms (and snails) carry parasites, no big deal but you should know the symptom of Gap Worms and have treatment on hand "just in case".

What are gap worms? They are now on chick starter that's medicated. I give then some bread crumbs, about a teaspoon ful, just for fun once in a while.
They will all eat out of my hand and don't get rattled if i move my hand around. Two of them try to fly up onto my arm. One is comfortable even if I lift him to my chest. This is so fun.

Gap worms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

I reserve medication for when it's absolutely needed so don't actually keep my hens on a worming schedule. While there is no natural treatment that will treat an parasite infestation and all chickens that have contact with the earth probably have worms of some sort. I feed my hens in a way that discourages parasite overgrowth. This includes pumpkin seeds,pumpkin meat, cayenne pepper flakes. I also add Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to their water. I also do a microscopic fecal check every few months and I do I keep "Flubervet" (spelling?) on hand.

Back
Top Bottom