Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
I've been watching these guys at work. They're all moving back in to the nest boxes at the park. There's been quite a few bluebirds around too.

20230405_083151.jpg

Our birds are down also here in S Jersey also, although the Robins have shown up in droves. Fifty to sixty of them working the yard, even Blue Jays have come back after a long absence of yrs. my favorite, Cedar Wax Wing has not been here in 15yrs which is funny when I can hit the Cedar Swamp with with my hat.
It's been my experience that Blue jay populations rise and fall with acorn availability.

Some years they've brought their fledglings to my feeders, but not in a few years.

I've been hearing them a lot recently, maybe they're nesting nearby again?

I have a plastic window feeder on the bathroom window. A woodpecker has decided this is a proper place to drum at daybreak. :barnie
One day earlier this month I let the peanut and suet feeders run out. I was outside with my seed/feed tote intending to fill them, but got distracted. A Red-bellied woodpecker went over to the feeders, saw they were empty, and drummed on the pole, ha! I was about 15' feet away at the time, and took it as a reminder that he/she was hungry, hurry up!

One day earlier this month I let the peanut and suet feeders run out. I was outside with my seed/feed tote intending to fill them, but got distracted. A Red-bellied woodpecker went over to the feeders, saw they were empty, and drummed on the pole, ha! I was about 15' feet away at the time, and took it as a reminder that he/she was hungry, hurry up!
I've had Chickadees buzz me complaining that the feeder was empty.

I've had Chickadees buzz me complaining that the feeder was empty.
I have too!

When I was a teen we moved into a house with 2 acres of woods behind it. I hung bird feeders on the back deck and enjoyed a closer look at the woodland birds that came to eat. I recall once we had extended family visit with us, and we all sat out on the deck. Then the chickadees and titmice started scolding us, and when we didn't leave at least one chickadee started buzzing our group.

They're bold little birds, and my favorites.

I have too!

When I was a teen we moved into a house with 2 acres of woods behind it. I hung bird feeders on the back deck and enjoyed a closer look at the woodland birds that came to eat. I recall once we had extended family visit with us, and we all sat out on the deck. Then the chickadees and titmice started scolding us, and when we didn't leave at least one chickadee started buzzing our group.

They're bold little birds, and my favorites.

I love the little chickadees! If I let the feeders run low, when I go out to refill them, the chickadees will gladly land on my hand to get a black oil sunflower seed if I offer them! I had one tufted titmouse brave enough to do it once too :)

Back
Top Bottom