Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
This is the time of year when turkey hens around here start grouping together with their poults. I generally see 3-5 hens with perhaps a half dozen vari sized poults. Today on the way out the beagle club lane there were 3 hens with at least 18 poults. I wonder if the high survival number is a result of the readily available protein source that the cicadas provided.

This is the time of year when turkey hens around here start grouping together with their poults. I generally see 3-5 hens with perhaps a half dozen vari sized poults. Today on the way out the beagle club lane there were 3 hens with at least 18 poults. I wonder if the high survival number is a result of the readily available protein source that the cicadas provided.
The lack of excessive moisture is also helpful. Too wet of a spring means lower survival rates for poults.

Last edited:
The lack of excessiver moisture is also helpful. Too wet of a spring means lower survival rates for poults.
A proven factor for sure, but we have had a very wet spring. I'm wondering if the West Nile virus has once again impacted the Red Tail and GHO populations. I am not seeing Red Tails hunting the club, and GHO sign is sporadic.

Busy day at the beagle club. Site inspection by the group that has preserved our grounds. What a sweetie this girl is. Also it's the annual butterfly count. Yep, folks come in and count butterflies. When I left them they were at 11 species and many, many individuals.

I can't remember which thread we were discussing short tail coons.
20210823_071755.jpg

This is only the second one I have seen. It was an old boar.

Back
Top Bottom