Feeding with the time change...blehh

Chickenylady

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2018
My original plan was to feed the ladies twice a day, I have a feeder style that I could fill up a weeks worth at a time but prefer not to do that as to not attract predators.

I work 8:30-5 so by the time I get home and go straight to the coop the ladies are already roosting....not quite in the "trance" but definitely settling in for the night with no interest of coming down to eat.

I am feeding about a cup and a half of feed in the morning, this is mostly gone at night, maybe a handful of pellets that got pushed behind the feed tray part left.

Should i be feeding them more?

My original plan was to feed the ladies twice a day, I have a feeder style that I could fill up a weeks worth at a time but prefer not to do that as to not attract predators.

I work 8:30-5 so by the time I get home and go straight to the coop the ladies are already roosting....not quite in the "trance" but definitely settling in for the night with no interest of coming down to eat.

I am feeding about a cup and a half of feed in the morning, this is mostly gone at night, maybe a handful of pellets that got pushed behind the feed tray part left.

Just having chickens will attract predators. The only thing that having feed out all the time is likely to attract is rodents (mice and rats).

I keep feed available to my poultry all the time. One thing you might consider is using a feeder that you can pick up and put away for the night but leave available to the hens during the daylight hours.

Last edited:
My chickens free range daily nearly all day long, but they have feed and water available 24/7 in the run. I don't try to ration it.

I just worry about mice and rodents getting into the feed. I only have 3 chickens so I don't want food sitting out too long and going bad. I also cant free range during week days as I am at work almost all day.

I keep feed available to my poultry all the time. one thing you might consider is using a feeder that you can pick up and put away for the night but leave available to the hens during the daylight hours.

I do the same, the crumble/pellet feeder goes down in the morning, gets put away in evening. If it stays out an extra hour or two before you're able to put it away that's fine. Better that they have food accessible during daylight hours than not enough.

Should i be feeding them more
I have feed and water available 24/7 in my 2 raised coops. No predators can get in after I lock up for the night. I haven't had a problem with wildlife eating feed in coop during the day except for a couple of times over 2 1/2 years. 20181021_092420.jpg . Both times were a songbird and I scared them away. GC

Last edited:

I don't limit what ours get, I'd rather there be a little too much than not enough, especially with the cold weather coming... they will be eating more for the extra energy. I have one of the hanging feeders that says it holds 7 pounds but I don't fill it to the top, I put feed in probably every other day on average, some days they eat more than other days. But I really like the feeder because they don't waste the food like they used to. It was awful before... they spread it all over and if it was on the floor, they wouldn't touch it even if their dish was empty.

I just put my chicks feed for the day out in am and take the food one in at night and leave the waterer in the enclosed run. I put out a 1/4 lb. per bird. That should be enough for an adult hen. I also give mine a handful of greens from the garden and dried mealworm seed cakes. I make my seed cakes homemade. The treats I give couple times per week to every other day. Keep less than 10% of total diet.

Back
Top Bottom