Feeding your medicated hens their eggs?

courtneyytags

Chirping
Jan 11, 2021
Hey there,
My vet prescribed me chlorhexidine (2cc/gal of water) for my egg layers to help them with fowl pox. I’d have to wait seven days after they stopped drinking the medication for the eggs to be edible. Until then… could I feed my hens their cooked eggs and crushed egg shells? If anyone has any ideas on what to do with the extra eggs, please let me know. I’d hate to waste all the eggs.
Thanks!

Unfortunately if there's an egg withdrawl period, if you feed it back to the chickens you're just dosing them with more medicine and effectively extending out the withdrawl period. Best thing to do is toss (not compost) the eggs for the recommended period of time.
That makes sense. I wonder why the vet didn't recommend that too! I would call the vet and ask him about that.

Chlorhexidine is just an antiseptic not so much a medication so there wouldn't be any stacking effects if you were to feed the eggs back.
It acts mostly as a sterilizing agent for the water and lesion treatment.
It should be o.k, but you are welcome to research it.
It is always nice to learn about stuff you'll probably be using again.:)

Chlorhexidine is just an antiseptic not so much a medication so there wouldn't be any stacking effects if you were to feed the eggs back.
It acts mostly as a sterilizing agent for the water and lesion treatment.
It should be o.k, but you are welcome to research it.
It is always nice to learn about stuff you'll probably be using again.:)
Wow! Thanks, I’ll just go ahead and do that then!

Back
Top Bottom