Feeding your young chicks-what not to do & what to watch out for.

wildrose41

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Oregon
I got 3 hens at the age of 3 months. Kept them separate from the older ones for months and was feeding everyone the same thing. At age 6 months I turned all the hens out into the yard to free range and so they could all become acquainted. Everything seemed fine for the longest time up until a month ago when my youngest started showing signs of paralysis. I had no idea what I was dealing with and began to research. Finding Marek's Disease I though for sure this was it. Then her brood mate came down with paralysis and I'm going OMG! I finally made an appt to see the vet. Unfortunately the first hen had died that night. They sent the hen's body for a necropsy and these where the results:

IT WAS NOT MAREK'S!! That's the good news. Results showed visceral renal gout and uric acid (this is what was causing their paralysis) http://www.lorikeets.com/gout.htm , a high levels of Vitamin D and calcium and toxicum levels. Apparently we can only figure that their feed was the cause. I got them started on layer feed way too soon. I had no idea this would happen. I only wish now that I knew better and it would not have caused the lose of 2 little hens.

I only hope this helps out any others that may be experiencing this problem or wondering what to feed those teenage chicks or when to get them started on layer feed. Good luck. Thanks.

Another article on gout:
http://www.hyline.com/redbook/Health/Gout.html

To live, to learn, to live and learn.

I'm so sorry about your two hens! Thanks for sharing what happened so other people will know NOT to feed layer until the hens are laying age!

Some times learning has a price. Maybe more would learn if you told the tale in the raising chicks section. If you have already.

I'm so sorry you had to find out the hard way, but thank you very much for sharing the experience and saving us that didn't realize the dangers from loosing our flock to the same thing!

I'm so sorry for your loss but I am confused. As a new "chicken mom" (so new they are not born yet, haha. I will be getting 25 babies on Monday)
smile.png

Can you please share with me what exactly is the food you're talking about? I am sorry you lost your 2 hens but thank you for sharing so others, like me, will not make the same mistake.
But since I am still learning about all this I don't totally understand what happened. Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom