feeding youth chickens and layers

coachross1

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
I am new to chickens. I have adult/layers but I also have youth chickens, two batches, 10 that are 24 weeks old but not laying yet; and 12 that are 7 weeks old. So, I have not been able to keep them separate anymore. The eleven laying hens are producing ten eggs a day and the eggs are nice size.

What do I do for feed? Do I just put them all on the grower feed or all on the layer feed? I am confused for what to do. This was not the original plan but we had a lot of the first order die and had to re-order which came in two separate batches. They are all free range now.

-Karen

Flock raiser or all flock is good for chicks, hens, and roosters. Just put some crushed oyster shell out in a separate container for the laying hens to get their extra calcium. Crushed egg shells are good too. Chick starter grower without cocci meds is almost identical to all flock.

Flock raiser or all flock is good for chicks, hens, and roosters. Just put some crushed oyster shell out in a separate container for the laying hens to get their extra calcium. Crushed egg shells are good too. Chick starter grower without cocci meds is almost identical to all flock.

X 2 Welcome to BYC.

Does it matter that eleven of the chickens are laying eggs? Some of what I read online said I needed to feed them a separate feed specifically designed for layers and that if I did not feed this then it would affect their laying. Other articles said if I feed laying feed to juveniles then it would be detrimental to them for longevity and for kidney issues and for growth.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! As Eggcessive said above, just put some crushed oystershell or crushed eggshells out in a separate feeder for the layers. They will help themselves as they feel they need the
calcium. Many flock owners, myself included, have done this at some stage. The hens continue laying, they'll get all the calcium they need from the the shells.

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills. :frow

I have never used layer feed - my flock gets Nutrena All Flock, which is suitable for poultry of all ages: chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and even peacocks. Purina makes a similar feed called FlockRaiser. Other brands often have an " all purpose" combination feed. I provide crushed oyster shell, or even crushed chicken eggshell, in a separate dish (as mentioned above) for the laying hens to take free choice.

It would be SUCH a hassle to try to keep hens out of grower feed and youngsters out of layer feed, so why bother if you can feed everybody the same (good) stuff? :)

Back
Top Bottom