Feeding

Threewyandottes

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Houston, Texas
Every day, when i go to the brooder to feed and water the chicks, i notice a pile of pine shavings in the food and water. this is a problem because the shavings soak up the water and block the food from the chicks. Is there any way to keep the shavings out?

For open style feeders & waterers such as you are using, raising them do the lip is at the height of their backs (continue to raise as they grow) greatly reduces the issue. You can use paver stones, scrap lumber, upside down containers... anything that provides a level, stable base.
Alternatively, using closed feeders and waterers (no waste feeders and nipple style waterers) works too

They have horizontal and vertical nipples. I never recommend the vertical, they usually leak, you have to hang the waterer and will freeze in colder climates. You can get the horizontal nipples on Amazon, they require an 11/32 hole drilled into what ever container you use. I have 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids(easy spin on and off) in my coop and run. (gamma lids @ Lowes)

20170422_105015.jpg

I put mine on a platform for the first couple weeks, then I usually hang them. I also made a brooder horizontal nipple waterer, this way, when they go in with the big girls, they know how to use them.
20170224_080912.jpg

20170423_140822.jpg

Put your feed and waterer up on something. I flip a cat bowl upsidedown and then set the water on top of it. BUT you have to make sure your chicks can still reach it okay

I put mine on a platform for the first couple weeks, then I usually hang them. I also made a brooder horizontal nipple waterer, this way, when they go in with the big girls, they know how to use them.
View attachment 1309758

View attachment 1309755

I was looking at these today. Never thought about using a pitcher. Do you just poke the nipples into the pitcher? Are the nipples universal or is there different ones for the bottom versus the sides?

Back
Top Bottom