Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in Canada and use pro stock chicken feed as I can’t get duck feed here
Mine comes from UFA
I haven’t seen a change in my feed but I will take a pic of my bags ingredient list and compare down the road to look for changes
I have 11 girls and when winter hit only 3 kept laying and 5 of my younger 6 didn’t start before winter hit
But then we got spring weather for the past 3 weeks and now I’m getting 11 eggs as even my younger girls all started
I haven’t bought feed in a few months as I buy ahead so not sure if there feed will change or not
I’ll update if it is

So I have 15 laying hens, and 6 laying ducks and I feed Purina layena and I’ve been mixing in country spirit layer crumbles due to feed prices. But I’ve noticed, egg production has dropped from around 12-15 eggs a day, to about 2 duck eggs, and usually only 1-2 chicken eggs. There was a miracle yesterday and I got three chicken eggs. I had originally thought it was just because of winter, but now I’m beginning to think otherwise. Recently I’ve been hearing about feed being the reason for loss of egg production, and sone things about high soy content in chicken feed. I’ve also heard some rumors about deficiencies which can be “cured” by mixing in rice and pinto beans well cooked into feed if someone chooses to feed the brands which are deficient. I’m slightly skeptical about trying these things, and although I want to change feeds asap, I have just over 200 pounds of the old stuff. What are your thoughts on these events? What feed do you get? How many eggs are you getting each day? I have customers who rely on me for eggs and so I’m struggling with this. Any thoughts appreciated.
Considering the time of year of your original post here, I venture to say molt may have been beginning. Many hens go off the lay until they are refeathered. I try to boost my girls during this time with extra protein and telling them they will look splendid again soon! As the length of solar days decreases they will lay less. They need the break and will come back soon. You’ve probably already seen these things pass and are into an increase even now!
Best to you.,

I’m in Canada and use pro stock chicken feed as I can’t get duck feed here
Mine comes from UFA
I haven’t seen a change in my feed but I will take a pic of my bags ingredient list and compare down the road to look for changes
I have 11 girls and when winter hit only 3 kept laying and 5 of my younger 6 didn’t start before winter hit
But then we got spring weather for the past 3 weeks and now I’m getting 11 eggs as even my younger girls all started
I haven’t bought feed in a few months as I buy ahead so not sure if there feed will change or not
I’ll update if it is
Thanks the more we share and report to others, the better.
So the thing is they may not change the ingredient list. Those who are reporting a problem say the bags are labeled same as before but seem different. Some even observed them smelling different. What changes is the egg production.
Many are pointing to weather or season, but this makes no sense. The problem seemed to crop up in late fall and was noted by veteran chicken growers who certainly know what differences season and light usually cause to their egg production. When changing feed even in deeper winter with less daylight, they report their chickens are again laying normally.
I’m afraid something more nefarious may be going on to further cut egg production across the US. It may be happening more in areas where feed gets turned over more quickly and newer feed is being sold. 🧐

Thanks the more we share and report to others, the better.
So the thing is they may not change the ingredient list. Those who are reporting a problem say the bags are labeled same as before but seem different. Some even observed them smelling different. What changes is the egg production.
Many are pointing to weather or season, but this makes no sense. The problem seemed to crop up in late fall and was noted by veteran chicken growers who certainly know what differences season and light usually cause to their egg production. When changing feed even in deeper winter with less daylight, they report their chickens are again laying normally.
I’m afraid something more nefarious may be going on to further cut egg production across the US. It may be happening more in areas where feed gets turned over more quickly and newer feed is being sold. 🧐
I have seen many reports on this on many social media
I myself haven’t dealt with it yet
In molt and winter I add a little starter feed in with the grower as it gives a bit more protein for winter months
Because of the boys I don’t feed layer but I supply crushed oyster shells except in the coop at night as I don’t put water in there to avoid frost
I know the weather did affect my group of birds as my boys are in full mate swing and I already have the favourite of all the boys in lock up as her neck was looking pretty rough
When it was cold the boys were chill and girls were not laying
We went from -48 to plus 6 and bang spring actions happened lol

I feed TSC feeds. My flock's production is fine. I got 7 eggs today from 9 laying hens/pullets. I got 6 yesterday. Idk what is going on with other people's flocks. My production hasn't dropped any more than any other year, except that 3 of my older girls have finally stopped laying, but it's expected at that age.

Try switching feeds, then. See if that helps.

The rice and beans add protein and the two ingredients said to be now reduced in the TS/Purina feed. They are actually good for chickens.
On a side note, I no longer trust the ingredient list or percents since there is no trustworthy agency, ie one that cannot be paid off, to police the companies, esp companies whose owners and ceos have ties to WEF.
No, they don't actually.

Rice has about half the minimal nutritional target for crude protein in a Layer formulation (which is intended to provide the lowest cost formulation for production layers under production managemetn, kept for production lifespans [until first adult molt], below which decreases in egg size, laying frequency and increased chicken mortality exceeds the projected savings in feed costs). Due in part to its low total protein, its deficient in each of the four key limiting amino acids. However, it is high in mKe as measured in MJ/Kg and makes a half decent substitute for corn in countries like Japan and China where rice is abundant, but corn is not.

Beans vary, and are relatively high in protein, yes, but need heat treatment (click on the "nutritional aspects" tab) to reduce anti-nutritional factors. Sadly, beans don't contain a complete protein, their AA profile is high in Lysine (that's good) and Threonine (that's good) and not bad in Tryptophan, but low in Methionine. That's a problem.

When vegan humans engage in protein complimentation, its a lot of rice, plus a little bit of beans, to result in not much of a more or less balanced complete protein. We "make up" for the limited total protein by eating larger quantities. With our mass, that's fine. With a 4.5# chicken? Its not. A chicken will hit its daily mKe needs long before it hits its Met needs eating two ingredients which average just 0.22 Met between them. To hit the old minimum target of 0.3%, they would need to increase consumption almost 50%.

Its obvious you are new to this. Your trust has been abused. Please, verify before repeating something you read somewhere. This is how ignorance is spread. Also, you won't find rice on a Purina feed label, unless its Purina One dog food, "Chicken & rice" flavor.

Last edited:
No, they don't actually.

Rice has about half the minimal nutritional target for crude protein in a Layer formulation (which is intended to provide the lowest cost formulation for production layers under production managemetn, kept for production lifespans [until first adult molt], below which decreases in egg size, laying frequency and increased chicken mortality exceeds the projected savings in feed costs). Due in part to its low total protein, its deficient in each of the four key limiting amino acids. However, it is high in mKe as measured in MJ/Kg and makes a half decent substitute for corn in countries like Japan and China where rice is abundant, but corn is not.

Beans vary, and are relatively high in protein, yes, but need heat treatment (click on the "nutritional aspects" tab) to reduce anti-nutritional factors. Sadly, beans don't contain a complete protein, their AA profile is high in Lysine (that's good) and Threonine (that's good) and not bad in Tryptophan, but low in Methionine. That's a problem.

When vegan humans engage in protein complimentation, its a lot of rice, plus a little bit of beans, to result in a more or less balanced complete protein. We "make up" for the overall deficiency by eating larger quantities. With our mass, that's fine. With a 4.5# chicken? Its not. A chicken will hit its daily mKe needs long before it hits its Met needs eating two ingredients which average just 0.22 Met between them. To hit the old minimum target of 0.3%, they would need to increase consumption almost 50%.

Its obvious you are new to this. Your trust has been abused. Please, verify before repeating something you read somewhere. This is how ignorance is spread. Also, you won't find rice on a Purina feed label, unless its Purina One dog food, "Chicken & rice" flavor.
Thank you, I was thinking all these things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom