Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Obviously not every single person using the feed has had the problem, only some. This does not mean there is no problem and this does not mean they are all problematic. Were you able to find a potentially affected batch?
In the main, its mostly reports of people claiming other people are experiencing it. Where those people are, what product was bought, when, lot code from the bottom of the bag, etc are all details that aren't being provided, even when requested.

Essentially, its an unfalsifiable narrative.

Much as I appreciate Aunt Angus' efforts, and taking one in the pocketbook on this issue, I'm certain any results will be immediately dismissed unless they further the narrative. Either the State labs aren't to be trusted, or it was the wrong feed, or not the affected lots, or its not being done in CA, or...

Plenty of reasons have been put forth which would cause hens not to lay, some of which involve milling error, nutritional deficiencies, mold/mildew/"stuff" from poor storage practices or poor farming practices (or both), but none of the symptoms we'd expect from those causes are being reported, and claims of sudden onset of lay within one to two days of feed change are simply not credulous - again, there's no mechanism that would readily result in such an outcome.

In the main, its mostly reports of people claiming other people are experiencing it. Where those people are, what product was bought, when, lot code from the bottom of the bag, etc are all details that aren't being provided, even when requested.

Much as I appreciate Aunt Angus' efforts, and taking one in the pocketbook on this issue, I'm certain any results will be immediately dismissed unless they further the narrative. Either the State labs aren't to be trusted, or it was the wrong feed, or not the affected lots, or its not being done in CA, or...

Plenty of reasons have been put forth which would cause hens not to lay, some of which involve milling error, nutritional deficiencies, mold/mildew/"stuff" from poor storage practices or poor farming practices (or both), but none of the symptoms we'd expect from those causes are being reported, and claims of sudden onset of lay within one to two days of feed change are simply not credulous - again, there's no mechanism that would readily result in such an outcome.
I just want to go back to chickening. And I want to know if there is a problem, for other folks' sake.

I thought people would WANT to know. But they don't seem to. All they seem to really want is a "gotcha" moment.

I feel defeated. And I haven't even begun.

The results should be dismissed if they are meaningless anyway i.e. not a accused batch. Lot to lot variability I assume has far less quality control regulation for animal feed than in human food. Honestly what is the test for if you don't know what to look for anyway? Protein content for example won't matter if the manufacturing plant had some kind of mold blowing in during a certain time period. These things happen and if enough product is effected there can be an investigation/recall. We did recalls based on taking people's word for it. People would call to complain about x product doing x and we would have an investigation that could end in a recall. The people havings issues just need to notify the manufacturer. Sure people may dismiss test resuts if it doesn't fit their confirmation bias but you do the same exact thing by dismissing people actually having a problem. None of this helps.

I just want to go back to chickening. And I want to know if there is a problem, for other folks' sake.

I thought people would WANT to know. But they don't seem to. All they seem to really want is a "gotcha" moment.

I feel defeated. And I haven't even begun.
No, you are not defeated.
I think - honestly - you can spare yourself the trouble of boxing the stuff up to mail it.
You have noticed that the butbutbut folks are now silent.
They either can't afford to send you their feed, or have theirs tested by a lab of their choice, choose a lab for you.....whatever. They didn't keep any of the feed, nor the bags,
Fight Fire GIF by PLAYMOBIL

Well, the thing is, these brands are practically the same brand. Cargill makes both Purina and Nutrena. Purina makes Producer's Pride and Dumor. It's the same with all major brands, they're owned by the same few companies just with different names.

https://www.cargill.com/animal-nutrition

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...t-lot-codes-purinarrabbit-feed-purinar-turkey
Land o Lakes owns the Purina that makes livestock feed. Cargill owns the pet division. As a fun side note, I grew up on Ralston Purina cereals.

I've had my goats' hay tested. They're not expensive to keep at all.

I've got a good paying job, and I've sold a lot of eggs lately. I can afford it.
They aren’t? I guess expensive is a relative term. I have 8 goats to go with my chickens and 2 livestock dogs. To be honest the chickens are most expensive but quality hay and feeding goats hay/ grain isn’t always cheap. Again I come back to its a protein problem with the chickens some people might not have the same landscape and if the chickens are on bad feed and can still find bugs and stuff I would assume the laying would keep on…. But hey what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom