Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Nestle owns part of Purina too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralston_Purina
"Ralston Purina Company was a St. Louis, Missouri,–based American conglomerate with substantial holdings in animal feed, food, pet food, consumer products, and entertainment. On December 12, 2001, it merged with Swiss food-giant Nestlé's Friskies division to form Nestlé Purina PetCare Company."

It looks like Purina used to be one company, but different parts were bought by or merged with other companies, so now "Purina" is a brand name that is actually being used by at least three companies (Land O Lakes, Cargill, and Nestle).

I believe, giving them cooked rice and pinto beans adds Lysine , which is necessary for egg production. I have a new flock , still on T/S grower feed. They have been laying fine still. Of course the growth feed is 20% protien.

Rice and beans. Not a great fix.

Starting with a good to great feed like the 20% Protein Grower you mentioned is a great place. I think in a later post you also mention the birds getting meat scraps? (may be confusing you with another poster) Also good, animal proteins are complete with a good AA balance. Mine really enjoy picking apart what I miss, every time I process one of my goats.

I fed them the goat feed, that same day didn’t see a difference. The next day, I saw the 11 egg difference.

Please don't. I understand being concerned about feed quality. I understand wanting to do best by your birds. But if you are going to pick an off the shelf feed intended for another animal, particularly long term, goat feed is probably the worst choice you can make of what's frequently on the shelf. Short term, nutritionally its no better on average, and usually worse, across a host of nutritional measures.

If the evidence out there is enough to convince you there is a problem with Producer's Pride, Dumor, or Purina, feed Nutrena - its made by Cargill. They have their own supply chain, factories, warehouses, etc. and whatever you choose to buy, CHECK THE DATE CODE. Old feed is not the manufacturer's fault, but that doesn't make it less of a problem.

Feed dates are very important! Nutrients can degrade with time and improper storage conditions.

This is what Nutrena says:
What is the shelf life of your poultry feeds?

When stored properly in dry, moderate temperature conditions, feed can be stored for up to 4 months, although we recommend usage within 60 days in hot, humid summer months and 90 days in cooler months. Always inspect feed prior to use for bugs, mold, or other evidence of damage.

Please don't. I understand being concerned about feed quality. I understand wanting to do best by your birds. But if you are going to pick an off the shelf feed intended for another animal, particularly long term, goat feed is probably the worst choice you can make of what's frequently on the shelf. Short term, nutritionally its no better on average, and usually worse, across a host of nutritional measures.

If the evidence out there is enough to convince you there is a problem with Producer's Pride, Dumor, or Purina, feed Nutrena - its made by Cargill. They have their own supply chain, factories, warehouses, etc. and whatever you choose to buy, CHECK THE DATE CODE. Old feed is not the manufacturer's fault, but that doesn't make it less of a problem.
This is just short term till this weekend we will go a feed mill that makes their own feed. We have gone there before and gotten feed for them. They don’t have a way to pellet the feed so it’s just crumble. Reason why we don’t get it there is their hours are limited in weekends.

If the evidence out there is enough to convince you there is a problem with Producer's Pride, Dumor, or Purina, feed Nutrena - it’s made by Cargill. They have their own supply chain, factories, warehouses, etc. and whatever you choose to buy, CHECK THE DATE CODE. Old feed is not the manufacturer's fault, but that doesn't make it less of a problem.
Dare I ask why? I would imagine that if I swapped the label off my goat feed and stuck it on a bag labeled chicken feed no one would remotely notice it. The main makeup of the feed is the same. Goats get more copper and trace minerals added into theirs which I’m not sure why since I have to leave free choice out for them 24/7.

Dare I ask why? I would imagine that if I swapped the label off my goat feed and stuck it on a bag labeled chicken feed no one would remotely notice it. The main makeup of the feed is the same. Goats get more copper and trace minerals added into theirs which I’m not sure why since I have to leave free choice out for them 24/7.

He's already linked the why. Click the orange text "Please Don't" that starts his post.

He's already linked the why. Click the orange text "Please Don't" that starts his post.
Oops reader view didn’t show link. Got it. Makes sense. I know for goats we laugh that they have goat and sheep feed and I wouldn’t dare feed my goats the same as sheep. We give as little feed as possible to our goats. Like I said was curious given the main contents and first list ingredients are fairly similar. Our male goats would get sick with stones if on too much feed which could kill them fairly quickly….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom