Feel like I'm being watched

TnTom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Woodbury Tn
So what's for dinner? Chicken or the spaghetti?
020.jpg

024.jpg

Last edited:
Were they close to your chickens? Did you shoo them away, I don't like vultures...
sickbyc.gif
Unless they are roadkill themselves.
smack.gif

We have some that hang around our area of the county, I see them at the cow pasture out back all the time...

I was curious if they would attacked my chickens. I had the shotgun out in the yard with me if the even came close to making a move I'd wack them. They roosted for a while then flew off. I don't believe they would try to kill them unless the chickens were injured or in some sad state of health. I asked a neighbor and he said the same thing. The ole buzzard does serve a valuable service its a shame that its overlooked so easily. You know what they remind me of when I see a tree full? The IRS organization chart:lol:

Last edited:
we have a lot turkey vultures around here(though I've never seen them roosting on my property like that)
and I don't worry too much about them because it's my understanding that they're carion feeders, they don't attack or kill live prey

I discovered a dead doe across the road which accounts for the presence the last few days. Bow season is open I think and she was probably one that didn't make it to the stew pot.

We have a great flock of these nearby. I'll never forget finding their feathers - HUGE. We see them all over the countryside and I personally love them.

They may spook your chickens a little with their gangly walk and looking about, but they will not harm them at all. I'm personally grateful for turkey vultures - they are the thankless janitors of the roads and lands and were for some reason dealt a face that only a mother could love
cool.png

~Empathy

I know they don't actually kill prey but they scare me more than anything. I wouldn't shoot 1, but I would find a way to shoo them away. Better safe than sorry, especially when they're gawking at my chicks or small dogs.

Turkey vultures will not attack/eat your chickens unless they are already dead. I kind of like them because they keep my birds on their toes looking for real threats from above.

Last edited:
Yep... true... Vultures are carcass eaters....nothing alive, only dead things... They are watching over your chickens... Kinda a nice big harmless bird to stand guard.

Quote:
Hope your right I have 6 of them in a tree right above my coop. Eyeing my chickens.Their safe though.I must live in the capital for vultures. I've counted 50 or more while deer hunting on our property.

Back
Top Bottom